Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zyb
    • Sep 2021

Max. PV continuous current for 400A service

For a 400A service what is the maximum continuous current that I can tap 320A (80% of 400) or 400A?

Resizing the wire (Blue wire) to accommodate the 320A, would this still be a code complaint design? Thank You!

Screenshot 2021-12-15 032315.png
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

It really comes down to what the AHJ likes and not necessarily the latest National Electric Code. Also your POCO may have something to say about how much Solar you can connect to their Grid through your panel.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

My POCO limits solar backfeed to 30kW on a 400A service. (125A @ 240Vac)
      Resizing the conductor feeding the 200A breaker is a modification to the service box that has to be approved by the manufacturer in order to not violate its UL listed use. Better off to connect directly into the terminal block (if possible).
      Frankly, I think trying to backfeed 77kW into a 400A service is a not a good idea.
      Last edited by solarix; 12-15-2021, 10:51 AM.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• heimdm
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2019

What size solar are you connecting? I have a 400 amp service, with 2x 200amp service disconnects. I did a line side tap and connected on to the bottom of the customer side of the meter if you will.

Comment

• Zyb
          • Sep 2021

Originally posted by solarix
          My POCO limits solar backfeed to 30kW on a 400A service. (125A @ 240Vac)
          Resizing the conductor feeding the 200A breaker is a modification to the service box that has to be approved by the manufacturer in order to not violate its UL listed use. Better off to connect directly into the terminal block (if possible).
          Frankly, I think trying to backfeed 77kW into a 400A service is a not a good idea.
          Thank you solaris May I know why it's not a good idea? This is a commercial project. I'm still trying to lower the system size to get to have DC/AC Ration between 1.20-1.40. anyway this is what I came up with I will be using the existing two wire of both L1 & L2 and use 5 port multitap connector. any thoughts?

Thank you SunEagle POCO limit me to 320A

​​​​​​​Thank you heimdm That's what my first plan but the existing wire is small to accommodate the current from the PV. so what i'm going to do is to parallel the two wire to a multitap connector and from there I will connect the wire from PV and (2) MSP. any thoughts?

Update.png

Comment

Working...