Mounting 200watts of flexible panels to a tin roof on a patio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arima
    Banned
    • Oct 2021

Mounting 200watts of flexible panels to a tin roof on a patio?

As the title says, I'm thinking about mounting 200watts of flexible panels to a tin roof on a patio. Been looking at getting a couple 500lb fishing magnets and some cheaper 100lb magnets, mounting them to the roof directly, and connecting the panels to them with some washers connected to the threaded screws running through the panels grommets.
    I just snagged a 12v 105ah lionenergy UT1300 for $695 from Costco and want to take my office off grid and also have a backup power supply for the fridge and communication/entertainment devices if the grid goes down. The patio in question is right next to my office so I was planning to run some extensions from the panels to my system inside my office (battery, giandel 1200watt inverter, and 100/20 victron charge controller). I was initially looking at getting a single 200watt glass panel but the roof is tin and I rent so permanent mounting's not an option.
    The properties not big enough to get reliable sun with panels on the ground because of shade created by the 6ft fencing around the house. I've basically got a narrow walkway between the house and the fencing and a patio with tin roofing to work with. I've started leaning toward the flexible panels because they're so light that I think magnet mounting could actually work. The nice thing is that the patio roof is unshaded and south facing it should be a very productive small system here in southern AZ.
    Is this a bad idea? If so, what do you think I could do to make this better?
    Last edited by sdold; 10-22-2021, 12:25 AM. Reason: removed ad
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

This post is a duplicate of one found on Reddit nine months ago. What's up, are you legit or are you advertising Newpowa panels? All of your posts mention them. Please explain.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

My concern is that a 105ah battery will not keep a refrigerator running very long.

If it was my money I would go with a small inverter type generator for my critical loads should the grid go down. But the system should work for you provided your loads don't drain the battery too quickly.

Comment

Working...