Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techsavvy
    • Jun 2021

12 6v 420ah batteries wired for 24v

I have 12 6v 420ah batteries and a 24v inverter charger. Does this look like a proper wiring schematic? I know it’s crude but I think it’s enough to see the plan.
    4-3 battery parallel wired into series. potentially it’s 6v 1260ah parallel, wired into series at 24v.
    Attached Files
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

It looks like you have batteries connected together, + to - with the green connections, which would cause massive current and probably a fire. Try four in series, and then three of those groups in parallel, taking care to have each parallel path have the same resistance (same wire type, length, etc.)

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I agree with sdold. Wire them 4 in series and the 3 groups in parallel. Then watch their health because parallel wired batteries will have shorter life.

Comment

• Techsavvy
        • Jun 2021

AD15173A-20FE-4869-9266-284D93180F61.jpeg

like this? that does make sense.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Techsavvy
          AD15173A-20FE-4869-9266-284D93180F61.jpeg

like this? that does make sense.
          better.

Comment

• citabria
            • Oct 2016

I have a couple of comments/questions concerning you setup: Is this for solar off-grid or is grid power available? Are you in a northern or southern location? Winter in the southwest New Mexico, I can easily get over 5 hours of insolation. With my 3,000 watt solar array, I was under charging a similar 12 battery, 1200 amp-hr system. With a C10 of 120 amps, not even a 20kW ford generator power system with 80 amps may not have been enough to maintain the life of the batteries as they slowly died. That said the the ford generator was and is currently down, so it was never used. The best I could do was get a portable contractor generator and match that with a 24 volt charger capable of 40 amps. At about 2.5 years of use, 3 batteries were dead (dead cell probably from sulfate). I got much better charging after going to just the 2 parallel battery banks. The batteries lasted well into 5 years. I just replaced the 12 batteries with just 8 new batteries and expect to get much better solar charging during the winter months.

So what is my point? Do not over battery your system or ensure you have adequate charging available.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by citabria
              I have a couple of comments/questions concerning you setup: Is this for solar off-grid or is grid power available? Are you in a northern or southern location? Winter in the southwest New Mexico, I can easily get over 5 hours of insolation. With my 3,000 watt solar array, I was under charging a similar 12 battery, 1200 amp-hr system. With a C10 of 120 amps, not even a 20kW ford generator power system with 80 amps may not have been enough to maintain the life of the batteries as they slowly died. That said the the ford generator was and is currently down, so it was never used. The best I could do was get a portable contractor generator and match that with a 24 volt charger capable of 40 amps. At about 2.5 years of use, 3 batteries were dead (dead cell probably from sulfate). I got much better charging after going to just the 2 parallel battery banks. The batteries lasted well into 5 years. I just replaced the 12 batteries with just 8 new batteries and expect to get much better solar charging during the winter months.

So what is my point? Do not over battery your system or ensure you have adequate charging available.

Hope some of this was helpful.
              Good point. With a 1260Ah battery system you should be using about 120 amps of charging which would require at least 2 MPPT CC's rated 60 or more amps.

Comment

Working...