Adding additional array to my property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding additional array to my property

Hey guys I recently purchased a solar system with two months of use on it to install at my home. The guy I bought it from had it installed by Sunrun and two months after the installation decided to move. Due to this he pulled the system down and stored it for two years in a shed out of the sun before selling it to me. I’ve called and Sunrun has told me I will have warranty on all parts of the system for around six years if anything is not working.

My home already has a system on it, but it is not producing enough energy to cover my bill. At the end of the year I will owe SCE around $2500 and that has been with my household being very conservative. In the future with more solar up I want to shift more of my energy usage away from Propane (no natural gas in my area) and to solar. This will mainly be done through a heat pump when I replace my downstairs furnace.

Below I’ve listed the components of my system and some info about my property.

Existing ground mount system:
    SMA Sunny Boy 7000US
    36 x Schuco SPV 210 SMAU-1

New proposed roof mount System:
    SolarEdge SE6000H-US
    19 x SolarEdge P370-5NC4ARS Power Optimizer
    19 x LG330N1C-A5

Property Details:
    1 acre property
    Electrical Panel – Crouse-hinds ja222cw (200 AMPS)
    3 Sub panels – 2 in main residence and one in the casita
    SCE Service Voltage – 240v

I would like to do as much of the work as I can myself (running conduit/pulling wire, mounting the inverter) before having someone come out and actually install the panels. My father and uncle are electricians but neither of them have gotten into the solar side of things. I’m open to recommendation for where to put up the additional panels but I assume a roof mount would be best. My questions are as follows:

1 – Is my second story southern facing roof the most optimal place for this install? I’m still on a tiered plan with SCE and don’t plan to go to TOU

2 – What resources will show me the requirements for wiring gauge and placement so I can complete that stuff with the help of my family?

3 – Does SCE have any input on whether or not I can add more panels to my property?

Below I've attached an overhead view of my property

Aerial View.jpg

Thanks for any input!

You do know that used equipment is ineligible for any fed. tax credit, right ?

Comment

Yes. I paid a small enough amount for this system that I wasn't worried about the tax credit.

Comment

Originally posted by 10bad10 View Post

......... My questions are as follows:

1 – Is my second story southern facing roof the most optimal place for this install? I’m still on a tiered plan with SCE and don’t plan to go to TOU
        Yes your second story roof looks to be optimal. Is it tile? That may pose challenges.

2 – What resources will show me the requirements for wiring gauge and placement so I can complete that stuff with the help of my family.
        The NEC code and your local building department are where I would start. Your relatives who are electricians should know the 125% rule on how much solar you can backfeed into a 200 Amp panel. There are options like line side tap and the use of subpanels that would be a starting point for them to answer the big question of how much you can backfeed per the code before you even ask SCE.
        3 – Does SCE have any input on whether or not I can add more panels to my property?
        Technically you can do anything that a building permit will allow as long as it is behind the meter and does not backfeed. You will have to ask SCE how much you can backfeed. It may depend on the size of the closest transformer and whether there are any neighbors backfeeding that transformer. Getting a new Permission to Operate from SCE may also trigger a requirement that you change to a TOU rate and be subject to NEM 2.0. I assume your old system is on NEM 1.0? Do you have the original PTO?
        If you run into a roadblock with SCE you my be able to buy additional equipment from Solaredge so that you can install that inverter and configure it for zero export. Then all you would need is a building permit. That may be suboptimal but then your goal seems to be to offset consumption.
        Last edited by Ampster; 03-27-2021, 07:25 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
        X