• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haydenv
    • Jan 2021

Split single string into 2

Hello,
    I am hoping for some assistance....
    I have a 7yr old 5kw solar system on the roof (250w panels) There is one string from the roof to the inverter.
    The inverter died and i have replaced it with a new one.(5kw)
    The previous inverter had only one string input.
    The new inverter has 2 inputs each taking 2.5kw.
    Can i split my single string at the inverter and connect to both ports on the inverter.

I have had the single string plugged in for quite sometime and it has been working fine although maxing out at 2500w, i am missing out on sometimes half of the generation.

Thanks in advance.
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

You are leaving out quite a bit of information.

What inverter did you have? What inverter did you replace it with? What solar panels do you have? I assume 20 panels.

You implied that for some time now, the single string of panels was connected to the new inverter works but it maxed out at 2500 watts. Was that during the summer or is it 2500 watts now? Approximately where are you located?

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Lets clear this up. I think what you mean is the old inverter was a single INPUT type not a single STRING type. A single 5kw string of 250w panels would be 20 panels in series which is not possible as the string voltage would be like 800Vdc - way over the 600V limit. The array was no doubt wired as two strings in parallel feeding a single input in the inverter. All you need to do is break apart the two strings and put them separately into two of the new inverter's inputs. The array may have been paralleled in a j-box on the roof so you may have to add another circuit from the inverter to the roof. The new inverter may allow paralleling its inputs and keeping the existing wiring, but you will be better off separating the strings so the inverter's MPPT circuitry can optimize each one individually.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...