Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charged
    • Dec 2020

52v panels issue

I am running a 24v system. It is comprised of 4 - 6v deep cycle batteries run in series.

The controller is a 24v makeskyblue mppt 2400w Sinewave hybrid. Max voltage input is: 100v and Max wattage input is 800 watts.

I have 4 panels total that push 52v and 300 watts each.

I also have 3 hqst 40 amp pwm controllers and a DeWalt 1600watt inverter.

Any tips on how many panels I should run per controller and how do I wire the controllers together? I see that if I run 2 in series it will exceed the maximum input voltage.

If I run 2 parallel it will be under the max volts and watts. Should I run 2 parallel? Is it ok to add the second inverter if I'm using 2 or more controllers?
    Last edited by Charged; 12-30-2020, 01:15 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I would run 3 panels parallel, through the specified fuses (label on back of panel : Max Series Fuse = ___A ). While this could possibly be 900W, in real life, you would expect only 720w under the best conditions. At 24V, that would charge batteries at almost 30A

The remaining panel, if run through a PWM controller, would only add another 5A
    300w/52V = 5.7A

That's what I'd start with. To enhance it, I'd decide what time of day I would be consuming the most power, and set at least one of the 3 parallel panels to be aimed that way, flanked by the other two, aimed 20degrees east and west , so that no 2 panels are directly aimed the same way. This is called virtual tracking and works well with matched panels that you state you have. \_/
    (tough to make a ASCII sketch of that)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Charged
      • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
      I would run 3 panels parallel, through the specified fuses (label on back of panel : Max Series Fuse = ___A ). While this could possibly be 900W, in real life, you would expect only 720w under the best conditions. At 24V, that would charge batteries at almost 30A

The remaining panel, if run through a PWM controller, would only add another 5A
      300w/52V = 5.7A

That's what I'd start with. To enhance it, I'd decide what time of day I would be consuming the most power, and set at least one of the 3 parallel panels to be aimed that way, flanked by the other two, aimed 20degrees east and west , so that no 2 panels are directly aimed the same way. This is called virtual tracking and works well with matched panels that you state you have. \_/
      (tough to make a ASCII sketch of that)
      Ok that's what I needed to know! Thank you!

I was worried about the 900watts but it's staying well under the 60amp rating like you pointed out.

I'm at 9000' here so the light is pretty intense.

The panels are rated at 52 watts but I saw it peak at 60 earlier. I thought that was interesting.

I will track the sun with the panels like you suggested. It's pretty easy because the sun runs on an angle here instead of overhead because of the altitude.

Do you think it's worth it to run a second inverter with the pwm?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Charged
        ...Do you think it's worth it to run a second inverter with the pwm?
        Naw, i'd keep your 4th panel as a spare. Only going to add 5A with another panel and the PWM controller.

Inverters. They burn power when turned on and no loads. So you generally want to stick with the smallest inverter that will run your loads, at 70% of it's continuous rated power.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Charged
          • Dec 2020

Naw, i'd keep your 4th panel as a spare. Only going to add 5A with another panel and the PWM controller.

Inverters. They burn power when turned on and no loads. So you generally want to stick with the smallest inverter that will run your loads, at 70% of it's continuous rated power.
          Ok awesome. I'll put the extra panel on my van. That ought to look odd since it's about 5'x3'. Thanks Mike!

Comment

• sdold
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Charged
            The panels are rated at 52 watts but I saw it peak at 60 earlier. I thought that was interesting.
            They rate the panels under standard test conditions (STC) which I think is 25C for temperature. If it's much colder than that the panel voltage can be much higher. Panels I'm working with now at an 8000 foot radio site are -0.31%/K (Kelvin) and if my math is right the voltage increase is similar to what you're seeing.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Just a note - using a PWM controller, you can only get 5 ish amps. With a expensive 75V MPPT controller, you could get 21A @ 14V from the same panel

Comment

• Charged
                • Dec 2020

Originally posted by sdold
                They rate the panels under standard test conditions (STC) which I think is 25C for temperature. If it's much colder than that the panel voltage can be much higher. Panels I'm working with now at an 8000 foot radio site are -0.31%/K (Kelvin) and if my math is right the voltage increase is similar to what you're seeing.
                Absolutely, the highs have been 32F degrees during the day. Single digits at night. I'm in the Southern Rocky Mountains so I expected that. It's rough learning off grid living in these conditions.

Comment

• Charged
                  • Dec 2020

Just a note - using a PWM controller, you can only get 5 ish amps. With a expensive 75V MPPT controller, you could get 21A @ 14V from the same panel
                  Ok that's good to know. I can get another Sinewave for $400 from New Mexico solar warehouse. They are a 1 hour drive from me.

I saw the Chinese knock off on eBay for $150 shipped. $20 bucks more and you can get a 3 year square trade warranty.

I know it's going to be cheaply built but I've got to try one out at that price.

Comment

Working...