Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Inverter

Hi

I've got 2 x 2nd hand Inverters from a friend that I'm trying to use with my Solar panel array to power my greenhouse/workshop.

One of them is a Solwex (German/Danish/Dutch) model which takes up to 450v DC input, the other is a Gridfit Exendis 2200 which takes up to 250 DC input. I have no documentation and have been unable to find detailed documentation on the web.

I've checked all the cabling and it seems OK, but don't seem to be able to "wake-up" the Solvex - opened the box and can't see any fuses or reset switches that have tripped. It's a very basic but heavy duty model. My friend has suggested that I may need to shunt the system in some way by having a load plugged in when it's connected.

Because it didn't work my friend has now given me the Gridfit machine to try. This only takes 250 v so I've cut out some panels and connected with 245v DC. I've tested this and it seems pretty consistent.

The unit powers up and I can use the LCD display, but after startup the unit displays an error code 207. It doesn't give any AC output. The data reading says the input is 12v DC and 0.5 A .

My meter shows a much higher reading. There have been other error codes 201 and 301, but the consistent one is the 207. I thought it might be an earth error, but I've now installed an earth that I've previously used to earth a whole house system and the Earth impedance seems good.

I'd be very grateful if anyone knows where I might be able to find a manual for this system or give me a clue what
    I could try next.

Sounds like grid tie inverters. Are you connecting to the grid? Sounds like you are trying to do an off grid application.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

We are trying to do an off grid. Can you not use Grid tie inverters for this type of application?

Is there a way to "convert" them?

Comment

Originally posted by Quinny View Post
        We are trying to do an off grid. Can you not use Grid tie inverters for this type of application?
        Is there a way to "convert" them?
        In a word, NO. Bruce Roe

Comment

Is this a technical or legislative issue? Please could someone point me to a resource where I can learn/understand why/how it won't work? The only connections to the box are DC and AC. How does it know what type of power supply it's connected to? Could I not link it to a generator to "trick it"?

Comment

Is this a technical or legislative issue? Please could someone point me to a resource where I can learn/understand why/how it won't work? The only connections to the box are DC and AC. How does it know what type of power supply it's connected to? Could I not link it to a generator to "trick it"?
            Unfortunately a generator will not produce the correct voltage, frequency and impedance that the grid provides and what a grid tie inverter is looking for.

What you have is equipment that is useless for an off grid system.

Comment

Thanks, I've researched it now. My friend gave/lent them to me and he's into off grid independent living, so I assumed they'd be OK. I'd be happy to have an on grid setup but think there are rules that you have to follow. I need to check.

Thanks for the advice. Steep learning curve

Comment

Thanks, I've researched it now. My friend gave/lent them to me and he's into off grid independent living, so I assumed they'd be OK. I'd be happy to have an on grid setup but think there are rules that you have to follow. I need to check.

Thanks for the advice. Steep learning curve
                So, is your friend living off grid or just into it as a dabbler ? Does your friend currently have PV?

Maybe he gave/lent you the equipment because he is off grid and so couldn't use the equipment.

By saying/writing you "think there are rules that have to be followed" leads me to believe you are in territory that's more unfamiliar than you may know, starting with what reads to me like a belief that off grid systems don't need permitting from local jurisdictions.

Looks/reads to me like you need more education about what you are wanting to do than a simple manual can provide.

For your safety I'd respectfully suggest get more education with respect to what you have in mind and then tread slowly and cautiously.
                Last edited by J.P.M.; 11-13-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Definitely a candidate to buy or locate a copy of this book https://www.google.com/search?client...me+for+dummies

Plan on the high probability that the Grid TIe inverters you got will not even be good for gird tie as they may not meet UL 1741. I do not recognize either manufacturer. Rapid shutdown requirements in the most recent electrical codes has made string inverters obsolete in many (but not all) applications.

The "man" requires system installs and equipment to be permitted so that you dont burn your house down or kill yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X