Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading total amps generated from parallel connection... Or parallel wiring, no load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading total amps generated from parallel connection... Or parallel wiring, no load

Hello,

I am experiencing what I imagine to be a very basic wiring problem but which is causing me some considerable frustration...

I have a system comprised of 26 panels (325, 340 & 370w) split into 3 separate strings (for each type of panel exclusively), each with their own combiner box and charge controller. But I have been unable to utilize more than 2 panels on any given string, as I have simply not been able to complete a "successful" parallel connection…

My design configuration is to have 2 panels wired in series, and then each series-pair combined in parallel to supply the controller.

My series connections I make by wiring the + of one panel with the - of the second panel. Using my multimeter I see a doubling of voltage, as expected.

I then try to make a parallel connection by wiring the + of one series-pair (as above) to the + of the second series-pair, and the - of the first to the - of the second. My understanding is that I should see a summing of the amperages of the two series-pairs. But I do not. Instead my multimeter reads not only the same voltage (as expected) but also the same amperage of only one of the series-pairs.

For example, with 2 40v panels, I have one series pair reading 80V and 10.4A, and another series-pair reading 80V and 10.2A. I wire the + to + and the - to - from one pair to the other, and I still read 80V and 10.4A.

Should I not be getting 80V and 20.6A?

I have tried making this parallel connection directly between pairs using 2AWG wire (which I since learned is a bad idea!), and using a combiner box with independent relays and switches, but the result is the same in either case. And with any of the 3 types of panels. Even with a full 6-string combiner box where I read 6 inputs all at say 80V and 10-10.5A each, I can never get an output of more than 80V and 10.5A.

I just can not figure out what is going on, what I have missed or done wrong, and am desperately in need of help.

It does not matter if there is no load or the batteries are pretty full on charge does it? Should I not be able to read all the charge being generated from my panels regardless, if I am measuring the current before (panel-side of) the charge controller?

Any help or direction would be so incredibly appreciated.

Feeling lost in the jungle with solar panels,

Ahki

It sounds like the issue is with the combiner boxes. Maybe the correct jumper is not in place to connect all of the positive and negative leads together to a single output pair.

You did not mention what type of CC you are using. I am surprised you are going with so many parallel pairs which may mean you have PWM type CC and not MPPT type.

Comment

I think I need to see a schematic or pictorial of what you have
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
      X