Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RShackleford
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

I don't think we're really disagreeing here. Yes, you need to complete a circuit to get shocked. And standing on the ground will do it (whether it be ungrounded conductor in your house or PV wire). And yes, if you're insulated well enough from the ground, you won't get shocked.

Comment

• Salts
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by RShackleford
      I don't think we're really disagreeing here. Yes, you need to complete a circuit to get shocked. And standing on the ground will do it (whether it be ungrounded conductor in your house or PV wire). And yes, if you're insulated well enough from the ground, you won't get shocked.
      So how would a solar panel complete it's circuit if one of the MC4 connectors isn't connected to anything? Remember, the current has to go back to the source, so how would current go back to the source (solar panel) if one of the MC4 connectors isn't connected to anything?

Comment

• RShackleford
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Salts

So how would a solar panel complete it's circuit if one of the MC4 connectors isn't connected to anything? Remember, the current has to go back to the source, so how would current go back to the source (solar panel) if one of the MC4 connectors isn't connected to anything?
        Yep, I see your point now.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

An old electricians trick is keep one hand in your pocket. If your shoes are insulated and you are not leaning against something, generally you are alright, unlike this fellow:

0000978_arc-flash-safety_550.jpeg

or Sunking's Crispy Cable Thieves:

copper cable thiefs crispy.jpg
          Their green handle wire cutters seem to be OK though.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Salts
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2019

Wow.. that's a shocking picture...

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Salts
              Wow.. that's a shocking picture...
              There are more available. I use to teach HV classes for our Power Electricians to show them what not to do. You can't believe the number of ARC flash injuries or burn deaths caused by taking the easy path.

Comment

• Salts
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

There are more available. I use to teach HV classes for our Power Electricians to show them what not to do. You can't believe the number of ARC flash injuries or burn deaths caused by taking the easy path.
                Ya I can.. Complacency takes more victims than high cholesterol... Darwin demands his quota..

Comment

• RShackleford
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  An old electricians trick is keep one hand in your pocket.
                  Similarly, wife and I wear silicon wedding rings. Me because doing lot of electrical work, she because she's a climber. Similarly, when I followed the Braves as a kid, a pitcher who'd played basketball in college was walking down the street with his teammates, and was bragging about being able to dunk; so he jumped up to do a mock dunk on an awning, it caught his ring, and tore ligaments in his hand - never fully recovered his career. Not quite as gruesome as above, but it stuck with me.

Anyhow, glad I appear to be erring on the side of too careful, instead of not careful enough, with these PV cables.

Comment

Working...