Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckhorne
    • Nov 2012

EMT through attic

I'm trying to get a permit for self installation of several panels on my roof. The panels will run to an external disconnect switch on the outside of the house (and then inside to charge controller / batteries).

I specified a junction box near the panels on the roof, then EMT through attic, to come out the side of the house, under the eaves, and then down the side of the house to the disconnects.

The permit was sent back because "EMT cannot be used as a service." For the first submission, I assumed this was because I had used EMT as my ground, so I updated the specs so that I'd use a separate ground wire through the EMT. It was denied again, for the same reason. When I talked to the permitting guy, he said that it's a service entrance, similar to how the main service entrance to the house is run. I asked if I can run PVC conduit through the attic and he said "sorry- I can't design your system for you".

I had planned to use a soladeck to make the transition, but I can't find a reference (NEC? IBC?) as to what can be run through the attic. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

2020-05-21_12-53-50.jpg

• foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Is this some oddball hybrid system that's grid tie and off-grid?

If it were regular grid-tie, I don't think it's considered a service entrance.

But it's probably easier to just go with "OK, well, since you won't allow EMT, I will use PVC conduit". (or Rigid)

BTW - if you don't have the distances that the conduit will go already in the plans, you should add it. IIRC there's a maximum distance service conductors can be inside a building. And you'll probably be more than that.
    Then if someone later says that the length is too long, you can point to the plans and say it's built to the approved plans.

Comment

• ckhorne
      • Nov 2012

It's fully off-grid right now. Battery backup only. Panels -> disconnect -> charge controller -> batteries -> inverter.

I can use PVC conduit. I just can't find in the code where it specifies either way. I can add the distances - it won't hurt anything.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ckhorne
        It's fully off-grid right now. Battery backup only. Panels -> disconnect -> charge controller -> batteries -> inverter.

I can use PVC conduit. I just can't find in the code where it specifies either way. I can add the distances - it won't hurt anything.
        The two jurisditions in California where I have solar installed required that DC conductors be in EMT. It may be a local jurisdiction clarification of NEC. They do need to be labled.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• ckhorne
          • Nov 2012

I just heard back from the local permitting office, and now they're kinda scratching their head on how to best apply code to this situation. So, they've approved my plan, with the assumption that I have a disconnect near the panel.

Comment

Working...