PV wire number of strands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PV wire number of strands?

I am building a 16.7KW ground mount grid tied system. The JASolar panels use 12AWG with over 50 strands (did not count them all). I am buying PV wire to add extension to reach the inverters. The permitted Electrical plans show 12AWG PV wire to be used for this purpose. When looking to buy the wire it comes in 7 strands from one company and 19 or 60 strands from other companies. Can I buy the 7 strand and still have a solid crimping using an MC4 crimper?

Which wire strands are other installers using?

Crimps can be fussy. Select the brand of MC4 connector you will use and contact their factory engineer for specifications on acceptable wire.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

ok, thanks for the info. and I am using QC4.10 connectors.

Comment

I assume this is the same connector:
        https://shop.ibc-solar.de/products/e...act/?card=8266

The data sheet says you can use it with AWG 10, 12, or 14 assuming that you have the right crimp tool for the wire size. They even show a tool on the web with die for those size wire. If you get that tool, you should be fine with 60 strand or 7 strand wire.

Be certain that the wire is copper, not cheaper "CCA" (Copper Clad Aluminum).
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by Sgtnarc1 View Post
          I am building a 16.7KW ground mount grid tied system. The JASolar panels use 12AWG with over 50 strands (did not count them all). I am buying PV wire to add extension to reach the inverters.
          Are you mounting your inverter at the array or near the main panel?

Comment

Bob-n,
            Thanks for that info. I do need the QC4.10 connector tool. Do you think I will have any problem crimping the 7 strand wire?

nwdiver,

I have (2) arrays with the furtherest being 25' from the inverters. Inverters will be mounted under one of the arrays. Main panel is located on outside of house about 35' away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgtnarc1 View Post
              The JASolar panels use 12AWG with over 50 strands (did not count them all). I am buying PV wire to add extension to reach the inverters. The permitted Electrical plans show 12AWG PV wire to be used for this purpose. When looking to buy the wire it comes in 7 strands from one company and 19 or 60 strands from other companies. Can I buy the 7 strand and still have a solid crimping using an MC4 crimper?

Which wire strands are other installers using?
              The "standard" strandings are 7, 19, and 37. For higher counts, MOST applications use "rope stranding", 7 ropes of 7, 19, or 37 strands then 19 ropes of .....

A cable manufacturer can make almost anything if either the pockets are deep or the quantity is large.

As someone else said, crimp lugs are normally good for the 7/19/37 without issues, but you should confirm toe lug is good with the lug manufacturer. Lugs for high stranding (DLO cable for example) are usually unique for the gauge and stranding.

Comment

gbynum,

Thanks for the info and I am checking now to ensure I will not have a problem crimping the 7 stranded wire.

Comment

Working...
                X