Installing cabling from rooftop to rooftop ( about 6 feet ), pros/cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing cabling from rooftop to rooftop ( about 6 feet ), pros/cons

I'm looking for some feedback on this. Going to have arrays on different roofs of separate buildings ( house and garage). Luckily the distance from roof to roof is only 6 feet. Me thinks running the cable overhead will be easier, but I want a solution that will be very durable ( we get winds and freezing rains ). I'll definitely have the cable in conduit.

I'd check with the AHJ before I got serious about that.

Aside from but after that, there's perhaps a small probability of damage but large consequences if damage happens, with the probability of damage going up in some fashion as the unsupported/exposed span gets more exposure in terms of length and proximity to stuff that moves.

Comment

In a few words, the AHJ may require more support or heavier gauge conduit.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

As others have mentioned you will need to get approval from your AHJ. More than likely they will require you to at least follow the minimal requirements of the NEC.

So "pipe" can be run unsupported for X number of feet and areal cable usually has some type of steel wire member that the rest of the wires are supported from. There is also a height requirement above the ground so a vehicle won't hit the conduit or cable. Again it still comes down to what your AHJ allows or doesn't allow.

Comment

Originally posted by 2PVorNotToPV View Post
          Luckily the distance from roof to roof is only 6 feet. Me thinks running the cable overhead will be easier,
          Maybe.

What type of cable is it? AC? DC? Solaredge DC?
          What will happen when/if someone walks into it while carrying a ladder?
          Is it over a driveway that you could have a vehicle strike it? (I'm guessing not with only 6' span - but there are 6' wide driveways)
          How high above the grade will your wires be?
          How high above the roofline will your wires be?

How will the wires go from one roof to the other? (AC lines going overhead between buildings have been done with weatherheads and messenger wire for years.)

Comment

Working...
          X