Firemans access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firemans access

Is there an exception when you have the adjacent roof slope empty that you can run the panels all the way up to the peak? I see alot of systems around my area where the panels are up to the ridge.

It's up to the local officials (AHJ). Some allow it, some require access on all edges. In my town, they allowed right to the edge all around as long as there was an adjacent roof that they could use. One town over, they required access per code on all edges.

But in practice, you want enough access to walk all around the array for installation and maintenance. As an absolute minimum, I would leave two feet, even if the local officials don't require it.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Thanks. I love it when the interpretation is never the same with the AHJ's

Comment

Originally posted by electricblue View Post
        Thanks. I love it when the interpretation is never the same with the AHJ's
        In California they all follow the state code but some add their own "enhancements". In addition the Fire Departmment in each city may have their own requirements. Local control is an age old political discussion around the country. I would rather have a discussion over the counter with a building official to discuss options, than be told that the State or Federal code is inflexible. One of my local jurisdictions actually waived fees for solar permits.
        Last edited by Ampster; 02-29-2020, 10:03 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
        X