Do sealed lead acid batteries require ventilation when used in a home?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking

Crap and I usually catch dates.
    I have done it myself so don't beat yourself up.

Comment

• Amy@altE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Riley5781

I found an off the shelf storage case built by Radiant and made from HDPE material. I tried to create a link but it didn't work
      ​I see that it has a vent so assuming I can vent that outside somehow and then the batteries are properly fused, would this offer suitable protection to keep the batteries in my storage area in the basement ?
      Be sure to use a vent fan that is designed for venting batteries, like the Zephyr Power Vent. They are specially made to not spark. Whether you get a 12V fan to run off Aux or a 48V fan to run off the batteries depends on which electronics you buy to control turning the fan on and off.
      Solar Queen
      altE Store

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
        Be sure to use a vent fan that is designed for venting batteries, like the Zephyr Power Vent. They are specially made to not spark. Whether you get a 12V fan to run off Aux or a 48V fan to run off the batteries depends on which electronics you buy to control turning the fan on and off.
        or much better, install a vent that does not require a fan. Hydrogen is lighter than air so it is simple to do with hydrogen vent at top and return air vent at bottom of battery box. No need for fan, no worry about spark, no power draw, no noise, best of all worlds.
        there are photos of mine at the bottom of this album: https://goo.gl/photos/dNEPaKmdfLYw6W726

NOTE internal pipe is copper to transfer temperature from incoming and outgoing air preventing a thermal cycle of air. you only want hydrogen to leave, not heat.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Riley5781
          • Dec 2015

Thanks for info guys. I've decided to put my batteries and electronics in an outbuilding (next to gen-set).
          But even then, I will need to vent the batteries but it will be much easier..

Comment

• Logan005
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2015

Thanks ButchDeal I had not seen those pic's. very nice, of the flexPower one, layed out. do you have to use a sub panel? or did you chose? I have been told it uses smart breakers to shed loads, and does not require sub panel? still waiting to see. I also notice you are using 12v batteries, how long can you last on grid fail?
            4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Logan005
              Thanks ButchDeal I had not seen those pic's. very nice, of the flexPower one, layed out. do you have to use a sub panel? or did you chose? I have been told it uses smart breakers to shed loads, and does not require sub panel? still waiting to see. I also notice you are using 12v batteries, how long can you last on grid fail?
              Thank you.
              yes you need the sub panel if you want emergency power. the inverter has two AC connection, and will disconnect from AC1 on grid outage leaving AC2 connected to the E-panel up. for my fridge, freezer, well pump, etc.
              My system is a bit under batteried from what we would sell. It can generally last 24 hours with no grid and no solar but I would cut usage if there was still no solar (or grid) after 12 hours. The chest freezer doesn't pull much unless it is opened, our Fridge is dual compressor energy star, The well pump is by far the biggest draw and we would just limit our usage.
              I would also cut the TV / Satelite usage

I can fit larger batteries in the box if need be. My batteries spend 95% of the time between 98-100% charge waiting for the frantic use

As for smart breakers, the flexpower does not come with that though it could control them. it would cost more and you would still need some other way to disconnect. In my configuration (most typical) it already has all that is needed to disconnect from the grid and the other panel didn't cost very much. Wiring it up was trivial as I could just pull out of the main and feed into the new sub.

Also a neat trick we did is on the roof in some of the photos you can see the SolaDeck box to get the wires into the attic. In the atic (directly on the other side of the roof) is a midnight solar combiner box (there is a photo of it in the attic). The wires terminate in it (4 strings of 3 ) with 4 breakers, then conduit down to the D disconnect.

Comment

• Logan005
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2015

very good. I hope our contractor accounted for the sub panel. We have everything planned for 8 L16's, but Iron Edison and Aquion are both soliciting our buy. either is nearly double for same capacity. we also plan to use the generator hookup for extended outages. I like a portable w/auto start, but will be a future buy and integration. we have no well pump and all Gas appliances and the house was built with all LED lighting. so we expect long service from our batteries. we went with FlexPower One, per your mention.

Comment

• Logan005
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2015

I still have not decided on the battery box, but since hydrogen rises I was thinking a vent hood with small computer fan for draft. keeping batteries in straight line along outside wall. it's CBS but I already have the hole saw bit for 4" vent. Our sub panel will be located 25 to 30 cable feet from batteries and inverter, I do not expect a problem with that, do you?>

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Logan005
                    I still have not decided on the battery box, but since hydrogen rises I was thinking a vent hood with small computer fan for draft. keeping batteries in straight line along outside wall. it's CBS but I already have the hole saw bit for 4" vent. Our sub panel will be located 25 to 30 cable feet from batteries and inverter, I do not expect a problem with that, do you?>
                    I would not use a computer fan for exhaust it would have internal sparks. You would want batteries in an enclosed box. You can use plywood like mine with rubber at bottom to catch any potential spill. Paint the inside to protect the wood if you have flooded too.

You would want batteries as close as possible to inverter, sub panel to inverter length is not a problem. FlexPower 1 includes a lot of parts, breakers etc that make it a great buy.

Comment

• Logan005
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2015

understood. since not required by code I will not have to rush to build box, the space is under my work bench so i can do any kind of enclosure I want. Yes made decision 4 months ago, still not installed. but should be by Hurricane season. I am hopeful.

Comment

Working...