X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pchiquit
    • Apr 2018

Frameless Panel bending concern.

Hi Folks:
    About two years ago I started a DIY project to install some solar panels on my roof. I ended up installing Trina Frameless Panels about a year ago. The installation is permitted and I followed all the installation instructions, but I've been noticing bending on the panels, specially after a snow we had last year. The panels are installed in a landscape direction, so the most bending I have noticed is on the short side of the panel. The racking is parallel to the panel, so it does not offer any support in case the panels bend too much. I've attached some pictures to illustrated the bending. Probably at the center of the panel there is a 5mm bending.
    My questions if anybody has any experience to share:
    - is this normal, like a normal bending that will stop getting worse? Or my panels are going to look like the picture on the this article https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...solar-modules/. We get snow once every 3 years and the max last year was about 6 inches. Panels are all working fine and there is no cracking. Any experience with frameless panels to share?
    - if that is something that should not happen, what do you suggest to fix it? I'm considering running another rail under the center of the panels as a support (a little off center to avoid the junction box on the panel). I would use the same rail that I already installed for attaching the panels with a rubber cover where it would touch the panel. I would like to minimize the work as it is really hard to remove the panels to work under it. I'm hoping that a rail would require supports every 3 panels, so I only need to remove one row.
    I'm not able to attache pictures, but here is a link to them from Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DkHKp2EQtsQFGbhS9
    Thanks !
    P.S. Located in North Carolina, USA.
Working...