• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrambler
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Junction box drainage hole

A quick practical question here.

Has anyone found out that humidity builds up in the small Junction Box on the roof where the strings are connected to the wires going to the inverter.
    I am wondering if I should worry that this would happen and damage the contacts in there overtime, and if a drainage hole should be drilled in the junction box.
    Note: I am in Northern California, so no extreme weather here.

Thanks
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

If you decide to put in a drain hole just make sure it is at the lowest point so the moisture goes out it instead of down a conduit opening.

Comment

• scrambler
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2019

Absolutely, but curious to know if I need to worry about condensation in the box.
      From your answer, am I right to assume you don't consider it an issue?

Comment

• Duxa
        • Jan 2020

The wire that is used should be rated for wet location, like THWN (-2), and the transition point should be done with outdoor rated fittings/connectors. If thats all done properly the wires should do just fine when exposed to condensation/moisture. That being said, a lot of the Jboxes meant for outdoor locations come with weep holes (to drain moisture). So it is possibel to make your own (but see the note below). Also, if possible create a drip loop with the cables.

From 314.15 - https://www.electricallicenserenewal...sectionID=64.0

2014 NEC allows weep holes in the box as long as the hole is ¼ in. or smaller. There is no limit on the number of holes or location where they are drilled but the holes must be “approved”.

According to Article 100, “approved” means acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction. Basically, any drilled holes are subject to the approval of the inspector.

Here is 2017 revision:
        Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by scrambler
          Absolutely, but curious to know if I need to worry about condensation in the box.
          From your answer, am I right to assume you don't consider it an issue?
          When a conduit goes from one type of environment to another (ie. cold to warm) you can find moisture will travel through the conduit to a "box". But if the box is sealed and there isn't much difference between the conduit environments then there is little chance of moisture getting into the box.

Comment

• emartin00
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Duxa
            The wire that is used should be rated for wet location, like THWN (-2), and the transition point should be done with outdoor rated fittings/connectors. If thats all done properly the wires should do just fine when exposed to condensation/moisture. That being said, a lot of the Jboxes meant for outdoor locations come with weep holes (to drain moisture). So it is possibel to make your own (but see the note below). Also, if possible create a drip loop with the cables.

From 314.15 - https://www.electricallicenserenewal...sectionID=64.0

2014 NEC allows weep holes in the box as long as the hole is ¼ in. or smaller. There is no limit on the number of holes or location where they are drilled but the holes must be “approved”.

According to Article 100, “approved” means acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction. Basically, any drilled holes are subject to the approval of the inspector.

Here is 2017 revision:
            https://imgur.com/a/I9CfDgp
            It's not the wire you need to be concerned about, it's the connectors. The vast majority of connectors are not designed to be exposed to the elements, and will corrode quickly in a wet environment.

Comment

• Duxa
              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by emartin00

It's not the wire you need to be concerned about, it's the connectors. The vast majority of connectors are not designed to be exposed to the elements, and will corrode quickly in a wet environment.
              Have had silicone filled wire nuts on my sprinkler wires for 20 years or so... functioning like they did on day 1.
              For solar roof jbox use one of these splice connectors (pic below), or if AHJ permits outdoor rated silicone filled wire nuts. Should be fine. But its never ideal to have it sit in water, so if water can get in, weep holes are a good idea.

97020_l.jpg

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Duxa

Have had silicone filled wire nuts on my sprinkler wires for 20 years or so... functioning like they did on day 1.
                For solar roof jbox use one of these splice connectors (pic below), or if AHJ permits outdoor rated silicone filled wire nuts. Should be fine. But its never ideal to have it sit in water, so if water can get in, weep holes are a good idea.

97020_l.jpg
                I don't know about wire nuts. Based on my experience if they see a big temperature change they come loose over time. A terminal strip inside a junction box is a better way to join wires.

Comment

• solarix
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2015

I've seen "watertight" j-boxes half full of water. Yes, condensation is a problem. I use a 3/16" weep hole unless the inspector forces us not to. Hole just big enough to not plug up with debris and too small for spiders etc....
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• scrambler
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2019

May be I will drill a weep hole, plug it with a screw, then open it up every few month to see if water ever builds up inside...

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

I would never use wire nuts of any sort for solar connections. The nuts eventually fail over time under the demanding constant power loads.

Either split nuts or screw down wire splices
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...