X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iamsteve
    • Oct 2019

Solar Panel Setback From Top And Side

Hi Friends,

I'm getting ready to install 10 panels on my roof. Since these panels occupy not more than 33 % of the roof space I understand I can leave just 18" of open space for fire fighter access on the top and sides. Now here is my question, what if I add an additional 10 panels below the original 10. Now there is more than 33 % of the roof space being used. Technically speaking these panels should have 36" of setback.Tell me please, how should I handle this matter, anticipating installing the additional 10 panels before the end of the year. What if the adjoining roof area (above the garage) is available to access the roof.

I got a permit to do these first 10 panels, but was planning on installing the second 10 without another permit. I'm thinking/wondering, since I'm not planning on going through the permitting process again, it won't matter if all panels are installed with just 18" of setback. Give me your opinion please.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

18" setback from peak and sides seems small, you may need to verify that before you start constructing things
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Iamsteve
      Hi Friends,

Give me your opinion please.
      Since you ask, my opinion is the only opinion that counts is that of the AHJ.

I'd call them.

Comment

• emartin00
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Since you ask, my opinion is the only opinion that counts is that of the AHJ.

I'd call them.
        Yup, fire codes can vary widely not only state to state, but city to city. Best to get with your inspector and ask what their requirements are.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Iamsteve
          Hi Friends,
          I got a permit to do these first 10 panels, but was planning on installing the second 10 without another permit. I'm thinking/wondering, since I'm not planning on going through the permitting process again, it won't matter if all panels are installed with just 18" of setback. Give me your opinion please.
          The question I ask myself when considering not getting a permit for something is whom may it affect. In this case the setback IS for firefighter access and safety. Could a firefighter be seriously injured or killed because there was not the safe access to your roof when he was trying to save your home?
          The operative issue in that case would not be whether you pulled a permit it will be about having the correct setback. Not having a permit will only add to the issue if your interpretation of the setback is not correct.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Iamsteve
            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by emartin00

Yup, fire codes can vary widely not only state to state, but city to city. Best to get with your inspector and ask what their requirements are.
            Thanks, good point Ampster.

Comment

• Iamsteve
              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by emartin00

Your right emartin00, thanks.

Comment

• sdold
                • Jun 2014

I helped a friend install panels on his garage, and he was able to get permission from the fire inspector for his city to have less than the usual setback because of other means of access, so you might have luck asking if there really is no access problem. Also PG&E wants to know the size of the system and I think they wanted a copy of the signed-off permit, so if there's a difference between the permitted size, the number of panels/wattage of the array, and amount of power you are generating, it might cause problems with PG&E.
                Last edited by sdold; 10-30-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sdold
                  I helped a friend install panels on his garage, and he was able to get permission from the fire inspector for his city to have less than the usual setback because of other means of access, so you might have luck asking if there really is no access problem. Also PG&E wants to know the size of the system and I think they wanted a copy of the signed-off permit, so if there's a difference between the permitted size, the number of panels/wattage of the array, and amount of power you are generating, it might cause problems with PG&E.
                  For many municipalities, a permit is required for reasons other than fire setbacks, including wiring and construction considerations. Also, at least for some CA POCOs, the POCO and AHJ's cooperate. In those (common) cases, you won't get a PTO for a non permitted installation. Lastly, at least in San Diego county, the inspectors I deal with don't care much about setbacks, claiming that's a CALFIRE issue, but to stress, that's only the inspectors I deal with - but I know for a fact all the county inspectors I deal with are aware of setback requirements.

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    that's only the inspectors I deal with - but I know for a fact all the county inspectors I deal with are aware of setback requirements.
                    I agree - it varies from location to location.

My city the inspectors are aware of the setback requirements.
                    And the Fire Department has the authority to waive the requirements or sign off on an alternative plan.
                    I took my plans to the building dept, and talked to them first. They said I could get a waiver from the fire dept. So I went to the fire dept to get my plans signed off by the fire dept. (I had less room at the peak - but a completely open northern roof face right next to the peak that gave them plenty of access if they needed to cut venting holes in my roof. And the N roof was the one above the kitchen - which I think is the more common location for fires.
                    It took an extra trip to the city offices, but worked out for me.

Comment

Working...