Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ground-mount installation with wooden framing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually there are two pics in the post which are present on my computer. I did post as thumbnails then edited to resize by just dragging it larger. Wonder if that could be the reason you don't see it?

Comment

I'll try once more,

1280x720.jpg

Solar Noon.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

That worked. How are the panels secured, any direct contact with the wood? If you had as
        much snow as at 42 deg lat here, the snow sliding off the panels would pile above the bottom
        row. Bruce Roe

Comment

I was aware that aluminum and treated lumber doesn't mix well during installation and used asphalt singles as a divider with galvanized carriage bolts thru 2x's and stamped holes in panel frames with zinc flat washers. Agreed on the snow, we had some last year but not enough to get in the way. I'm certain it will happen eventually.

Comment

Mentioned this to architect friend, who's much into solar, and he doesn't like the fact that the pressure-treated structure will give out before the panels do. I'm actually going to start with ground-contact rated 6x6x posts which sit on round piers which come up out of the ground a few inches, so I feel like it'll last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford View Post
              Mentioned this to architect friend, who's much into solar, and he doesn't like the fact that the pressure-treated structure will give out before the panels do. I'm actually going to start with ground-contact rated 6x6x posts which sit on round piers which come up out of the ground a few inches, so I feel like it'll last a long time.
              I would not worry about it. In a long time those panels will probably be technologically obsolete before that pressure treated wood. I am most likely not going to outlive my patio cover made with pressure treated wood. . I acquired used Sunpower panels for a cover and since it is west facing it only gets sun in the afternoon. Nothing in life can be perfect.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford
                That is OK, I was hoping the wood would last at least 5 years, while I figured out something
                better. 4 years later a much improved, permanent arrangement went up, now I need to go
                back and build new mounts for all the panels. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford View Post
                  get the good stuff CCA treated. there are all kinds of long term tests that you can google showing in ground, out of ground tests on PT wood. A lot are 60+ years especially high CCA content. I went with CCA .60 on mine. Pictures here

Some good PT wood test reading here

Not sure why this post was edited before I got to it but it went into Moderation and I just deleted the links.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 04-08-2022, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Priced some roofing metal, and it'll only cost about $300 (and some more of my sweat equity) to roof the thing. Seems worth it to me, to make it waterproof.

Comment

There was a post with several links, held in queue for approval. That might have been it.

The RR that runs behind my place has nearly finished ripping out all the rotted "safe treated" ties that the california environmental loonies insisted they install 6 years ago. Standard treated ties last 20+ years, green ties fail in less than 8 years. More trees lost to replace early failure ties, and the labor costs are not inconsequential. Treat 'em, and treat 'em good.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

There's a local plant here that sells lumber treated with MCA (micronized copper azole), which they claim is both as long-lasting as the old CCA and easier on metal fasteners than either CCA or ACQ.

Comment

Working...
                        X