Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khanh dam
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

interesting. If you know how to run new circuits, then upgrading a panel is not that much harder. Seriously it is basically redoing many circuits instead of just a couple and attaching the main lugs with some anti corrosion paste and proper torque. I'd do it myslef and save $2000, but good luck whatever way you go.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by khanh dam
      interesting. If you know how to run new circuits, then upgrading a panel is not that much harder. Seriously it is basically redoing many circuits instead of just a couple and attaching the main lugs with some anti corrosion paste and proper torque. I'd do it myslef and save $2000, but good luck whatever way you go.
      Do not forget to get the PoCo to assure/upgrade the larger feed required. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

Do not forget to get the PoCo to assure/upgrade the larger feed required. Bruce Roe
        I agree. Just upgrading the panel from 100A to 200A does not necessarily get you a 200amp service from the power pole. That will require the POCO's blessing and work.

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by MD2002
          Yes, I'm aware of this. The plan is once the upgrade happens I'll run new lines with new breakers up to a few areas in the house. The current box does not really have room to add anything, unless you double up the breakers like someone said,
          Adding a sub-panel is an option.
          Looks like this is a sub-panel already, and I don't see a spot for the solar, so I'm guessing the solar goes back to your main panel along with the feed for this subpanel.

Are you going to increase the wire size from this subpanel back to the main panel / meter?
          (I probably would. Larger wire == less resistance == less power droop)

Again - if you're doing this mainly because of lights dimming when the AC kicks in, I'd probably go the cheap route and check that each connection is tightened properly, and not corroded.

Comment

Working...