Estimating generation per hour with east/west arrays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimating generation per hour with east/west arrays

I'm very interested in extending the number of useful hours my total system generates per day. My primary array faces not-quite south (220 degrees) To that end I
    Last edited by jtc331; 08-17-2019, 05:57 PM.

PV watts https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ will be the tool to use to test different layouts
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by jtc331 View Post
      I'm very interested in extending the number of useful hours my total system generates per day. My primary array faces not-quite south (220
      Your message was truncated at the special character that you included - maybe, the degrees symbol ?
      Please edit.
      What model and quantity of Solar Panels currently in the South array?
      What model Inverter are you using?
      Approx Long & Lat?

My friend is installing 8.25 kW of Solar Panels with a 5 kW Inverter.
      ALL 30 PV Panels will point due South - because that is best.

I had thought ...
      10 panels point SE
      10 panels point South
      10 panels point SW
      was better because "more hours", but actually ( SW+S+SE ) is LESS Yearly kWhrs of production vs ALL South
      Last edited by NEOH; 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEOH View Post
        Your message was truncated at the special character that you included - maybe, the degrees symbol ?
        Please edit.
        Fixed.

What model and quantity of Solar Panels currently in the South array?
        What model Inverter are you using?
        Approx Long & Lat?
        I currently have 22 LG 335W panels in the primary array with a SolarEdge 7600 watt (storedge model) inverter; Greenville, SC is the location.

was better because "more hours", but actually ( SW+S+SE ) is LESS Yearly kWhrs of production vs ALL South
        That's true, but my aim isn't *total* number of solar hours, but rather number of hours per day at some "minimum" amount (say, 2 to 3 KW).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          PV watts https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ will be the tool to use to test different layouts
          I've used PV Watts, but from what I can tell it only tells total hours/production and doesn't break out by time of day.

(I realize that ended up not originally being in my post since it got cut off when I used the degree character).

Comment

Fixed.

I currently have 22 LG 335W panels in the primary array with a SolarEdge 7600 watt (storedge model) inverter; Greenville, SC is the location.

That's true, but my aim isn't *total* number of solar hours, but rather number of hours per day at some "minimum" amount (say, 2 to 3 KW).
            Are you interested in maximizing "Kilowatt-Hours produced per Year" ?
            If yes ... then add more panels pointed due-South.

Or are you saying , you can only add the new panels facing east and/or west ?
            Last edited by NEOH; 08-17-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Are you interested in maximizing "Kilowatt-Hours produced per Year" ?
              If yes ... then add more panels pointed due-South.

Or are you saying , you can only add the new panels facing east and/or west ?
              I'm saying I want to maximize the number of hours of a day that I generate useful power, even if that means slightly less total kWh generated in a day.

Comment

Please help me understand why you want to maximize "daily useful hours" and not "total yearly production".

Comment

I'm saying I want to maximize the number of hours of a day that I generate useful power, even if that means slightly less total kWh generated in a day.
                  Is what you pay for the additional PV generated electricity of any concern in all this ? If so, how much ?
                  Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-18-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Please help me understand why you want to maximize "daily useful hours" and not "total yearly production".
                    Because I'm interested in optimizing for total amount of consumption generated by PV not just total PV output. Part of that is just "it's interesting" and a hobby, but also because I don't believe the current regulatory system of net metering makes macroeconomic sense (see: duck curve, etc.). So I want a system that makes sense even outside of those current constraints. And you can tackle that two ways: 1.) with storage, and 2.) by generating earlier in the day (east arrays) and later in the day (west arrays). You could do (2) and at the same maximize total annual output with trackers, of course, too, but that's significantly more complexity that won't make sense in many cases when panels are so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Is what you pay for the additional PV generated electricity of any concern in all this ? If so, how much ?
                      I'm not overly concerned with the cost (though it's not a non-factor). I already have a non-DIY installed system with higher end LG panels, so anything I DIY is going to be much cheaper per watt already, even if I don't squeeze every possible hour out of the new panels.

Comment

Because I'm interested in optimizing for total amount of consumption generated by PV not just total PV output. Part of that is just "it's interesting" and a hobby, but also because I don't believe the current regulatory system of net metering makes macroeconomic sense (see: duck curve, etc.). So I want a system that makes sense even outside of those current constraints. And you can tackle that two ways: 1.) with storage, and 2.) by generating earlier in the day (east arrays) and later in the day (west arrays). You could do (2) and at the same maximize total annual output with trackers, of course, too, but that's significantly more complexity that won't make sense in many cases when panels are so cheap.
                        OK.
                        Given that you already have the primary array pointed South-West ...
                        then you need to add some Panels pointing East.
                        Can you do that?
                        Is this a Roof Mount with limited locations or a ground mount?

Comment

OK.
                          Given that you already have the primary array pointed South-West ...
                          then you need to add some Panels pointing East.
                          Can you do that?
                          Is this a Roof Mount with limited locations or a ground mount?
                          This is actually tied to my other thread about (possibly bifacial, for aesthetics) panels on a pergola, so yes, it's possible for me to do most orientations (still working on plans for the pergola itself) as I basically have a clean slate with nothing built yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X