Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to operate 2 loads simultaneously in the system mentioned in the description?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wazbout
    replied
    Okay thank you again for your help

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    It becomes more difficult if your controller does not have a built in amp meter. You either have to purchase an inline amp meter and wire it in permanently or use a clip on DC amp meter.

Leave a comment:

• wazbout
    replied
    Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for the advice!

I just have one final query regarding the battery, I have a 3A charge controller that doesn't show the charging condition of the battery but has cut off voltages, so when I tried to measure the voltage and current coming into the battery, it gave me a figure for the voltage but nothing for the amps. Any idea why there is no amp reading and how do I know when the battery is fully charged?

Thank you,
    Wassim
    Last edited by wazbout; 07-16-2019, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    As long as you understand that the battery is not large enough to power these items for very long (minutes).

If the battery has screw terminals, each load, on the + lead, gets attached with it's own 12ga wire. Each wire needs a 15 or 20A fuse on it, close to the battery. This is so if anything shorts, the fuse will blow before the wire melts.
    The return line ( -, minus ) needs to also be 12ga

If the battery has slip on terminals, you have to make a pigtail with a single 10ga wired to the mating terminal, and then a splice to the 2 different 12ga wires. Same fuses and wires as above, just using heavy 10ga as an intermediate piece of harness, it's not likley you can get two 12ga wires properly crimped into the slip on terminal.

Tape or heat shrink exposed bare connections. Look under the hood of your car, all the metal wire connections are always covered (except maybe the 2 battery terminal posts)

Update - if your inverter is not pure sine wave, it may not properly power the lamp ballast. Modified sine wave often has trouble driving inductive loads and they buzz loudly.

Leave a comment:

• wazbout
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    It's not going to happen with the small panel and small battery.

Question, what are these two items:
    > 24V 10W UV lamp.
    > 200W 12v DC to 220V AC inverter and a ballast to regulate the voltage to the UV lamp
    is it a typo, or are you using 2 lamps ?
    Hi Mike,

The small battery and panel were chosen purposely due to the lack of funds and the fact that this is purely just a prototype, so I just need to show that it would work in practice before scaling up the equipment. This should be possible for a short amount of time with the above panel and battery. My issue is in relation to how to wire my two loads in order to both operate from the battery terminals in a safe and feasible way. Also, because my lamp operates on AC but the pump is DC.

Also, it is just the one lamp and the second items you are referring to is an inverter and the ballast which operates on AC which is why the inverter is required

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    It's not going to happen with the small panel and small battery.

Question, what are these two items:
    > 24V 10W UV lamp.
    > 200W 12v DC to 220V AC inverter and a ballast to regulate the voltage to the UV lamp
    is it a typo, or are you using 2 lamps ?

Leave a comment:

• How to operate 2 loads simultaneously in the system mentioned in the description?

I am currently undergoing a small DIY project to make a solar-powered UV disinfection system.
    The 2 loads I have are a small 4LPM 12v DC pump and a 24V 10W UV lamp.
    My system consists of a 50W 12V solar panel which is connected to a 3A charge controller, A 12v 14AH battery, a 200W 12v DC to 220V AC inverter and a ballast to regulate the voltage to the UV lamp.
    I was wondering if it was viable to run both loads simultaneously and how to do this? My original plan was to connect the DC pump to the load port on the charge controller and the inverter to the battery terminals, however, I am worried if this is feasible especially considering the low current rating of the charge controller.
    If this is not feasible how else can I operate both loads simultaneously?
    Thank you for your help
Working...
X