X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregwashere
    • May 2019

Low pitch roof New Roof Question

Hi everyone,
    I'm learning towd a rack system for my (pretty) flat roof in Philadelphia, PA. I'm pretty sure I have chosen my roofer and these are the 2 options they've given me:

1). "Instal 1/2" dense recovery board on the flat roof before installing the new rubber roof. Recovery Board provides a new roof substrate along with added insulation and sound proofing. The recovery board will really give you a great roof. The warranty with the recovery board will increase to 20 years.
    The additional price for the recovery board is roughly $2,000 to $2,100."

2). "If you wanted two layers of roof membrane the additional price would be $2,400.00 additional."

For a couple hundred bucks difference, I'd rather get the better option, so that doesn't make any difference -I'm happy to save money, but at the end of 20 years, I going to be happier with a better roof.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks; I appreciate people taking their time to answer a homeowner's questions.

-Greg
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

I am always doubtful that long-term warranties will ever be honored when the time comes to make a claim so I don't put much faith in long warranties and never in extended warranties. I also know that most people move every 5-7 years so consider that as well for both ROI on the roof and solar. Is this really your forever home?
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Gregwashere
      • May 2019

I don't think that this company is selling me on an extended warranty. I am the one who asked them about increased protection for my roof if I added a rack system.

I got 4 estimates and although they were not the least expensive, I'm hiring one of the top rated companies in my area ...I don't mind spending money on a good contractor (I'm an electrician with only 5-star reviews on Yelp and an A rating on Angie's list -so I assume that most well-rated contractors love their job and honor their promises the way that I do).
      As for 'forever' home ...we've lived here for 14 years and will live here till I can't walk up the steps. I live in a progressive city in a progressive neighborhood -so even if I sold my house, I think an awesome new roof and a solar array will add resale value immediately. Considering that I have leaks NOW, I can tell you that I look forward to not having to deal with another leak for years to come. And I don't want to have to remove the solar array because I need to repair a ****ty roof!

I trust the opinion of my roofer, but they were honest enough to tell me that they don't have a ton of experience with the long-term effects of a roof with a solar system installed.

Consequently, I am asking people who I am hoping have more experience with this sort of roofing question.

Comment

Working...