No announcement yet.

Solar panel efficency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting experiment as I have just tried using only 2 panels in series. Its giving me a lesser voltage only 56v according to the CC 7.1A 400w. Just reconnected how I had it and I get 66v 7.3A 480w and the RPM is much better. So really the extra panel is giving me an 500 RPM more possibly not worth it. I would have to do more tests with pool vac to see if that was a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualpete View Post
      Thanks SunEagle, so to conclude from this I am running my pool pump directly from the PVs via the charge controller main reason being we have plenty of sun here in Southern Spain and i can get a good 8 hrs run from the pool pump which is ample for the size of the pool. Electricity here is the most expensive in Europe at Euros 0.18c per kwh and my previous pool pump 240v 1200w was near on 50% of the electricity bill hence the need for change, I opted for a DC pump 48v 500w which gave me enough flow rate and head pressure for my situation and it does work a treat running at around 3500 rpm. I am going to try just 2 panels in series to see if it helps the preformance as it would be interesting to see. Pete
      I understand your desire to reduce electric costs and not using a battery system will help keep the costs down.

But I see a problem as to why you are using a charge controller without batteries. Or am I confused about that point?

I am also concerned that the DC pump will not run at the desired speed without batteries throughout those 8 hrs of sunlight and will not run at all if it is not sunny.

Comment

Interesting experiment as I have just tried using only 2 panels in series. Its giving me a lesser voltage only 56v according to the CC 7.1A 400w. Just reconnected how I had it and I get 66v 7.3A 480w and the RPM is much better. So really the extra panel is giving me an 500 RPM more possibly not worth it. I would have to do more tests with pool vac to see if that was a factor.
        You are correct that your 3rd panel arrangement will give a slight improvement over 2, but the
        benefit is far short of the 3rd panel capability. The slight improvement is because the 2 panels
        in parallel will slide up their voltage curve slightly a few volts. But the other panel will move in
        the other direction with its limited total current capability.

Take the advice above to get best performance, esp on poor sun days. Bruce Roe

Comment

Thanks SunEagle. Basically the controller came with the pump as I just wanted something to run directly from the panels as I am not too concerned about a battery system as we do not have a lot of choice here and many mixed reviews about cost vs savings. I have sent the pump system up so worse case I can revert back to the old pump should I need it. But today is cloudy and still the pump is working fine and as long as I can get enough hours in to run the whole pool through the filter at least 4 times I will be happy. This morning the pump was running nicely from 08:00 and for sure by 19:00 pm the pump will be losing power and maybe once I can get my head round battery systems it will be something I can look into going forward. Right now I feel chuffed that I can filter, rinse, backwash and vac my pool all from the power of the sun - why did I not do it years ago! Pete

Comment

Thanks SunEagle. Basically the controller came with the pump as I just wanted something to run directly from the panels as I am not too concerned about a battery system as we do not have a lot of choice here and many mixed reviews about cost vs savings. I have sent the pump system up so worse case I can revert back to the old pump should I need it. But today is cloudy and still the pump is working fine and as long as I can get enough hours in to run the whole pool through the filter at least 4 times I will be happy. This morning the pump was running nicely from 08:00 and for sure by 19:00 pm the pump will be losing power and maybe once I can get my head round battery systems it will be something I can look into going forward. Right now I feel chuffed that I can filter, rinse, backwash and vac my pool all from the power of the sun - why did I not do it years ago! Pete
            Sounds like you have a good system for your pool circulation. What is the make and model of that pump and controller? I am sure others might want to try it out on their pool to see if they can get it to run enough without batteries.

Comment

I think, enough 72 cell (300W class) panels in parallel for the size 48V DC pump and cloud conditions,
              might be the ideal, very simple solution. Bruce Roe

Comment

Hi SunEagle, this is what I got: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32906...56c563c00dY7M2

Comment

That explains a lot. That is a PV direct pump and controller. Batteries not needed.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks littleharbor

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                      That explains a lot. That is a PV direct pump and controller. Batteries not needed.
                      I agree with your description. The controller is not a Charge Controller for a battery system.

It was designed to accept the input directly from a solar panel system to run the DC pump.

Comment

Thanks SunEagle, that makes sense

Comment

Working...
                        X