Are there products that are 'grid tie' and doing this through an AC outlet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walt_Solartown
    • Jul 2010

Are there products that are 'grid tie' and doing this through an AC outlet?

I have a prospect with a small food cart who wants to put solar on top of it - but he doesn't want batteries and will have access to grid power. His power is coming in via a power line that also powers a street light. Is it feasible to try and grid-tie say 4 panels to the line? I only have experience pushing power through a breaker box that is connected to the grid. I think this would work in theory, but is this feasible? I will find out more about this power line as the client didn't know what it was but it sounds like it is heavy enough (10AWG).
    Thanks! Walt
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

In theory, and practice, it does work, but why would a food cart vendor want to spend $1,500 to give free power to the street light circuit ? for only about 100W of solar power. (the small modules are not 95% efficient)

Also, these are illegal in USA, and anywhere there are insurance companies, and electric codes.

A person could install a dozen of these, and then a large appliance, and pull 10A off the solar, and 10a off the circuit brealer, and have 20A going through a 15 A circuit.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Geez I cannot believe what people get snookered into like voting for Obama. They will drink the Kool-Aid with no questions asked.

Here is the Kool-Aid pitch:

Energy companies are BAD for selling you electricity for $0.12/Kwh. You need GREEN ENERGY for $2/Kwh to make a profit and FEEL GOOD about it. Must be what we called ELECTRIC KOOL-AID back in the 70's you are drinking.

No it is not feasible silly. You make a product that cost you $2 to make, and sell it for 12 fricking cents. Who the heck is going to buy $10 hotdogs when you competition sells them for a $1? Duh!

A GREEN GUY idiot might buy 1 if you label it made from: "GREEN ENERGY", but the next 10,000 customers LAUGH at you as they walk by...
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...