Mounting Panels on Standing Seam Roof - Do I need rails?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by billboe
    i do like the idea of a lower profile install (i wouldn't think heat dissipation is too much of a problem for me).
    Not sure why you think you would be special with heat dissipation.... PV modules get hot from the sun light and need air circulation to cool them.

Leave a comment:

• peakbagger
    replied
    I am over in NH and notice quite a bit of performance loss in summer on hot days with my roof array compared to my other arrays. Note that just because there is no inspector, there is a building code and if you have to make an insurance claim, if the failure is attributable to a non code installation the insurance company does not need to pay. I actually met two different folks from the NE Kingdom area that claimed that when they had a fire due to their off gird system that they didn't get a dime in insurance. I had no need to check the veracity of the claims and in both cases I was talking to an ex spouse so there was probably more to the story .

Leave a comment:

• billboe
    replied
    Originally posted by solarix
    No building inspector? What planet are you on? Standing seam clamps work well. Be aware that the manufacturer recommendation is to put one on each seam in order to spread the load. As a result they are really not any less expensive than a rail system. You are relying on the nails (or screws) used to hold the roofing down to now hold your array as well. Building dept here requires us to prove that the roofing was put on with double the usual fasteners. Also be aware that with clamps, the panels are pretty close to the roof with not much ventilation space under them. Maybe not a problem in Vermont, but here in Arizona it is.
    yes, what planet indeed! i'm building a house and did all plumbing and electrical and no one looked at it once. that said, i was pretty meticulous at following code (probably beyond code)...

thanks for the info on the clamps. we did tell our roofer to double the fasteners so, hopefully that happened.

so, it does seem that landscape would be the only way to go and the clamps would just fall where they fall (seams are 21" apart)... i do like the idea of a lower profile install (i wouldn't think heat dissipation is too much of a problem for me).

thanks again!​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• solarix
    replied
    No building inspector? What planet are you on? Standing seam clamps work well. Be aware that the manufacturer recommendation is to put one on each seam in order to spread the load. As a result they are really not any less expensive than a rail system. You are relying on the nails (or screws) used to hold the roofing down to now hold your array as well. Building dept here requires us to prove that the roofing was put on with double the usual fasteners. Also be aware that with clamps, the panels are pretty close to the roof with not much ventilation space under them. Maybe not a problem in Vermont, but here in Arizona it is.

Leave a comment:

• billboe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ampster
    It will probably depend on the engineering details required by your local building code. Where are you located?
    thanks ampster... i'm in small town central vermont. no building inspector at all.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    It will probably depend on the engineering details required by your local building code. Where are you located?

Leave a comment:

• Mounting Panels on Standing Seam Roof - Do I need rails?

It seems that some companies sell mounting systems for standing seam roofs that don't require rails. The only way I could see this work is if the panels were mounted in landscape orientation and you didn't necessarily follow the panel instructions wrt where you can attach the mounts.

So, do I need rails or not?

I'm looking at a ~10k system on my new 8/12 pitch standing seam roof.

Thanks!

billboe
Working...