Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far away from the battery can I locate a 10 watt solar panel.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

    I think the problem is how far can the OP mount the solar panel from the battery with the wire that was sent with the package. I would have expected that Mighty Mule would have provided that info
    Instructions for the FM123 Installation;

    If the solar panel must be placed more than 10 ft. from the control box in order to receive direct sunlight, you can use up to 250 ft of stranded 16 gauge, direct burial, low-voltage wire...etc.

    Info about the solar panel.....The output of the s.p. is variable during the day depending on the intensity of the sun, angles...etc etc..The output may vary from a few millivolts to as much as 22 volts. To check the output..etc etc...connect solar panel leads to a dc voltmeter..(which I plan to do)..In bright sunlight the panel output should read at least 18 volts dc at approx. 300mA.

    Comment


    • #17
      The wire length might be OK then. One thing to consider is if you think you might want to up-size the system, it would be nice to have larger wire if the cost isn't too much more.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 51flood View Post

        Instructions for the FM123 Installation;

        If the solar panel must be placed more than 10 ft. from the control box in order to receive direct sunlight, you can use up to 250 ft of stranded 16 gauge, direct burial, low-voltage wire...etc.

        Info about the solar panel.....The output of the s.p. is variable during the day depending on the intensity of the sun, angles...etc etc..The output may vary from a few millivolts to as much as 22 volts. To check the output..etc etc...connect solar panel leads to a dc voltmeter..(which I plan to do)..In bright sunlight the panel output should read at least 18 volts dc at approx. 300mA.
        This instruction leaves out that there must be a load connected to the panel as well as a voltmeter. If you open circuit the panel the voltage will depend only very weakly on the health of the panel and the amount of light hitting it. The "specification" states that you should be getting 300ma or more at 18V from a good panel in full sun, but does not tell you how to hook up something that will draw that 300mA current while you are testing the pane.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by inetdog View Post

          This instruction leaves out that there must be a load connected to the panel as well as a voltmeter. If you open circuit the panel the voltage will depend only very weakly on the health of the panel and the amount of light hitting it. The "specification" states that you should be getting 300ma or more at 18V from a good panel in full sun, but does not tell you how to hook up something that will draw that 300mA current while you are testing the pane.
          How about if I switch on the opener with the multimeter attached to the s.p. 16 awg within the controller? Wouldn't be hard...the opener is at the gate hinge...during the swing there is
          little travel of the controller ..

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by 51flood View Post

            How about if I switch on the opener with the multimeter attached to the s.p. 16 awg within the controller? Wouldn't be hard...the opener is at the gate hinge...during the swing there is
            little travel of the controller ..
            That should work, just note that you need to put an ammeter in series with the panel, not just measure voltage, since the motor current is coming from both battery and panel while the gate is moving.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

            Comment

            Working...
            X