Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LPG
    • Nov 2017

Crooked shingle line

I have an interesting ordeal, I have a shingle line that's not straight so halfway through the roof the flashing is too low and won't catch the third shingle course as required by the FlashFoot 2 instructions.

Not really sure what to do here other than somehow making the flashing for the FF longer.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Use a fresh piece of shingle, even if you have to buy a pack, and use a 3-tab to cover the goof. And glue it on well, so it sheds water, not collects it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• emartin00
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Just shift the entire row up a couple inches. You will have to notch out the other shingles, but that's common.

Comment

• Whalepod
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by emartin00
        Just shift the entire row up a couple inches. You will have to notch out the other shingles, but that's common.
        This.

Wandering shingle courses are really common on just about every type of comp roof. Due to the company I work for I work on a lot of lower income housing whose roofs may not have had much attention paid to them in a very long time. Any kind of small sag in the roof can definitely cause a shingle course to wander. I would shift your standoffs up a couple inches so all of your flashings land under the 3rd row and using a hook blade knife notch out the shingles whose standoffs crept slightly up roof and need trimming to make fit. Unless the course wander is atrocious or your roofline is really long you may not even need to notch.

Your other option depending on your racking could be to snap a chalk line at an angle that splits the difference in the course wander between the left and right sides, I really like SnapNRack for a bunch of reasons, one of which is my rail doesn't need to be perfectly parallel to the ridge or gutter line, they can be tailing slightly up or down roof as long as they're straight... if you're going to do that just be sure when your laying the modules that you lay them visually straight relative to the roof rather than perfectly square to your slightly wandering rail. If your Mids/Ends match the frame color of your modules then your modules look like they're laid perfectly straight, and the only visual evidence would be the mids/ends which become almost impossible to see from the ground. This is my preferred method and with a little diligence laying mods ends up with really straight arrays. Just be sure if you're going to do this that the shingle course wander isn't bad enough that the rail wanders too far up or down roof to compromise the module mounting to the rail.

Maybe that helps?

Comment

• LPG
          • Nov 2017

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up shifting the line.

Comment

Working...