No announcement yet.

How to deal with high grid AC voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with high grid AC voltage?

I'm dealing with an eight year old Xantrex 2.8kW GT grid-tied inverter that consistently drops off line if the AC voltage goes above 247Vac. I was able to observe one time the displayed voltage be 5V above what I was measuring on its terminals so the tech support (now Schneider Electric) had us send it in. They sent it back saying it tested fine. BS the thing just can't run at elevated grid voltages. At least the displayed voltage now matches the measured. Anyway, I need a way to make this thing work as the Schneider repair team have lost my confidence and grid voltage around here is running a bit high. Would it be viable to put a variac or autotransformer on its output to fix the voltage a bit?
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Have you checked all connections to make sure you are not incurring excessive voltage drop on poor connections?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

After you check all your AC cables from inverter to the electric company meter, you call the electric company and complain about high line voltage. But if your cabling is too small, or you think you can use a larger gauge of wire to reduce the resistance, that's your first step. Sometimes, even a breaker gets some crud growing on it's contacts and gets resistance.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Done all that stuff. Even traded inverters with the customer and run this one at my shop where we can watch it better, but my voltage isn't much better. SolarEdge inverter right next to it has no problem, and another Xantrex I have access to works just fine here. The POCO won't do anything because the voltage really isn't that bad and I agree with them. Problem is with Schneider Service that doesn't want to stand behind the legacy products they bought from Xantrex. (See if I ever buy their stuff). Already spent too much time talking to them about this.

Comment

You could take a look at my solutions at HIGH LINE VOLTAGE TRIPOUT PROBLEMS, under SOLAR PANELS
          FOR YOUR HOME, GR... That auto transformer shaves 15VAC off each side of the line, but probably 5V each
          side would be plenty and not require as big a transformer. Bruce Roe

Comment

Got yourself between a rock and hard place. A the utility has the biggest rock and easiest for them to whirl. By Law they have fairly wide voltage range to meet, and equipment manufactures know those limits and expected to work within them. Off the top of my head the utility has /- 10% voltage reg, so unless you go outside of that, utility will tell you to pound rocks rightfully so. If POCO L! - to -L2 voltage is at least 225 and no greater than 275 volts is fine. From there it is up to the Inverter to track and keep up.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Yes, I know. Went through this 6 years ago when this inverter was at customer's house. Back then the Xantrex people had us go through a whole process to change parameters in the inverter to widen the AC voltage window. Now the Schneider tech support people "claim" there is no such thing. If any of their tech support people hang out here, I'd wish they would come clean.... This inverter is probably going to end up in the trash. I don't mind going through some grief dealing with failures and supporting my customers - its how I find out which companies have integrity. I still say when it comes to choosing inverters, the most important criteria is reliability, reliability, reliability. And its not Schneider

Comment

Well, you could install a smaller buck transformer. You just need to step down your PoCo voltage by 10% or so.

From a variety of manufacturer such as these:
                http://www.hammondpowersolutions.com...t_Section2.pdd

OR

From Page A-12 of the manual for the Xantrex
                http://www.schneider-electric.com/re...al%20(New).pdf

it appears you need (GTConfigLite)
                http://www.schneider-electric.com/re...te-July18).pdf
                gtconfiglite.software.informer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                  Well, you could install a smaller buck transformer. You just need to step down your PoCo voltage by 10% or so.
                  OR
                  From Page A-12 of the manual for the Xantrex

it appears you need (GTConfigLite)
                  If you go for 10%, your transformer will need to be big enough for 10% of the inverter output. I
                  would suggest 3 to 5%, reducing the trans size and also its idle power consumption. In
                  general both sides must be reduced to keep any neutral voltage monitor happy. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                  X