Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freebedj
    • May 2018

Need info/advice on Enphase M190 gen 4 inverters

I currently have a 12.5 KW solar system that my friend and I maintain as my installer went bankrupt shortly after system installation. The system (installed in 2010) has a mix of Enphase M190 and D380 inverters and Mage 190W 72 cell panels @240VAC.
    I can easily extend one string to a small roof and I am looking to add 2 used 170W 72 cell panels at this location. I am looking to use the M190-60 inverters as they are new and locally available at a decent price.
    I am trying to understand the difference between M190-72-2LL-S22-IG and M190-60-2LL-S22-IG inverters.
    Additionally can I use the M190-60 inverter with a 72 cell panel ? Are there any negatives with this setup ?
    I tried finding this information on the Enphase web site but have had no luck.
    Comment & suggestions are much appreciated !
  • JSchnee21
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2017

60-cell and 72-cell (and 96-cell) panels have different DC operating voltages. As a very rough rule of thumb, you get roughly 0.5V to 0.6V DC per cell. Difference Enphase Micros (and different SE Optimizers) are designed and rated for both different operating voltage ranges and different total watts.

see these url's
    enphase.com/en-us/support/technical-brief-pairing-72-cell-modules-enphase-microinverters
    enphase.com/en-us/support/module-compatibility

Micros are spec'ed with both a minimum starting voltage and a maximum peak voltage. The voltage output range of the panel needs to fall within the this spec. The lower end doesn't matter as much. The Micro won't turn on until it gets enough voltage from the panel. Ideally the micro turns on as soon as possible for maximum production.

At the upper end, exceeding the voltage design spec can/will damage the Micro and void the warranty.

So, get the tech spec's for your panels, then compare with the tech specs of your Micros and see how the voltage ranges line up. In general, most Micros are for 60-cell UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED.

Comment

• JSchnee21
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2017

For example, here (see url) are the specs for the M250 60-cell versus 72-cell
      enphase.com/sites/default/files/M250_DS_EN_60Hz.pdf

I should have mentioned that with Enphase Micros, at least, it's fairly common to "over subscribe" the micro. That is to say, it's pretty common to use a panel whose STC Wattage is greater than the Wattage "rating" of the Micro.

For example, using a 60-cell LG ~300W STC panel with an Enphase M250-60 Micro. Note that the voltage ranges must be correct -- 60 with 60. (likely a 60-cell panel with a 72-cell micro is also fine) but as long as the DC output current rating of the panel is less than the max input DC current rating of the micro it's fine to over subscribe. Worse case, on very sunny days, the Micro might clip a bit for a short period of time.

So, to answer your question, no, you cannot use 60-cell micros with 72-cell panels.

Comment

Working...