Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installers in North Texas

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a installer for a ≈ 25 kW roof mounted system in North Texas (Prosper, North of Dallas).

I'm afraid to tackle it as my first project. Will be purchasing from the system online.

Any interested please reach out. Thanks.

Will your electric utility allow larger than 10kw system ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

From what I've read in Coserv's Electric Distributed Generation Procedures & Guidelines Manual for Members it classifies system sizes as below 50kW, 50kW-10MW and doesn't show in restrictions in size, I can attach the document if you are interested. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Normal 200A household electrical service, maxes out at about 30 or 40A of solar for back feeding, if you have a larger main electrical panel, and have the power companys blessing, I guess you are all set.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

It's for a 15,500 sqft business building being constructed are there any considerations I should talk to the electrician about?

Comment

Originally posted by Supercharger619 View Post
            It's for a 15,500 sqft business building being constructed are there any considerations I should talk to the electrician about?
            so is it 3 phase? what voltage is available?
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

This is insane. In TX there is no Net Metering Laws. In addition a commercial business rate in TX runs roughly 5 to 6-cents per Kwh. Bottom line if you do this means you just volunteered for a nice huge rate increase. Why would a biz want to increase overhead cost and expect to stay in biz?
              MSEE, PE

Comment

I was looking at the fact that average energy consumption is 8,000-12,000 kWh per month for our sister sites which is easily over$1,000/month.

Are you saying that by adding solar they will increase my rate?

Comment

You will never have an ROI is what I am saying. All you have to do is investigate. Shop for standard service. TX is deregulated. Most likely you will find you can get locked in for 5 to 6-cents per Kwh for 2 years. Then look at grid tied plans which are far and few between in TX. You will buy at a much higher retail rate of 8 to 10 cents, and sell excess for 4 cents. Additionally most packages do not let you bank or carry over to next moth and limit what you can sell back. In other words going over the limit and you are giving power away.

No take what it is going to cost you to install the system, divide that out for 10 years, calculate the amount of energy it will produce and determine Kwh cost. Bet you find out you are going to be paying 400% or more for free electricity. You stil will get a large bill from whatever provider you choose, plus all that money you invested will be lost and out of pocket.

Only way for solar to pay you must live in a state with Net Metering Laws. Additionally electric rates must be high, and your neighbors must be forced top pay for a large part of your system. Non of that exist in TX except on the Left Coast Island of Austin where the goberment owns and operates the utility. Somebody has to pay for all that free stuff.

All I am saying is do your homework. Most likely your competition did. There is a very good reason Solar is not popular in TX and you are having trouble finding installers. Power is dirt cheap and plentiful in TX. So much so TX exports a lot of power and make a lot of money doing so.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

I was looking at the fact that average energy consumption is 8,000-12,000 kWh per month for our sister sites which is easily over$1,000/month.

Are you saying that by adding solar they will increase my rate?
                    FWIW, consider checking PVWatts for SWAG on system output per STC kW. A 25 kW system will probably produce ~~ 40,000 kWh/yr. But without net metering, it may be a long time on payback.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

so is it 3 phase? what voltage is available?
                      No, one phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        You will never have an ROI is what I am saying. All you have to do is investigate. Shop for standard service. TX is deregulated. Most likely you will find you can get locked in for 5 to 6-cents per Kwh for 2 years. Then look at grid tied plans which are far and few between in TX. You will buy at a much higher retail rate of 8 to 10 cents, and sell excess for 4 cents. Additionally most packages do not let you bank or carry over to next moth and limit what you can sell back. In other words going over the limit and you are giving power away.

No take what it is going to cost you to install the system, divide that out for 10 years, calculate the amount of energy it will produce and determine Kwh cost. Bet you find out you are going to be paying 400% or more for free electricity. You stil will get a large bill from whatever provider you choose, plus all that money you invested will be lost and out of pocket.

Only way for solar to pay you must live in a state with Net Metering Laws. Additionally electric rates must be high, and your neighbors must be forced top pay for a large part of your system. Non of that exist in TX except on the Left Coast Island of Austin where the goberment owns and operates the utility. Somebody has to pay for all that free stuff.

All I am saying is do your homework. Most likely your competition did. There is a very good reason Solar is not popular in TX and you are having trouble finding installers. Power is dirt cheap and plentiful in TX. So much so TX exports a lot of power and make a lot of money doing so.
                        I am having trouble finding installers because I was going to purchase the system online (wholesale solar) and none of the typical turn key solar companies want to install a purchased system (because they don't get to mark it up). For rough numbers sake a 25 kW system for 35K + 15K installation (worst case scenario some people install it themselves I understand) which will be paid for by my 7a business loan which is a 26 yr loan. I won't see much change in my premium on the sized loan I have when adding 50K.

No compensation for excess energy with Coserv (my only option).

So looking at PV watts approx 40kWh/yr = $4,000 yr, what I'm here for.

Federal tax break from 50k would leave me at 35K leaving out a local Coserv incentive coming (I think it's $4,500) but won't factor that in. So that would around 9 yrs payback. Still higher than I anticipated. I guess that 14% system loss seen on PVWatts hurts, aren't the inverters more efficient than 96% these days?

Any other pros/cons? I didn't think I'd get talked out of a solar array on a solar forum, ha. But if it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the insight guys, part of me still want s to do it.

Comment

I am having trouble finding installers because I was going to purchase the system online (wholesale solar) and none of the typical turn key solar companies want to install a purchased system (because they don't get to mark it up). For rough numbers sake a 25 kW system for 35K + 15K installation (worst case scenario some people install it themselves I understand) which will be paid for by my 7a business loan which is a 26 yr loan. I won't see much change in my premium on the sized loan I have when adding 50K.

No compensation for excess energy with Coserv (my only option).

So looking at PV watts approx 40kWh/yr = $4,000 yr, what I'm here for.

Federal tax break from 50k would leave me at 35K leaving out a local Coserv incentive coming (I think it's $4,500) but won't factor that in. So that would around 9 yrs payback. Still higher than I anticipated. I guess that 14% system loss seen on PVWatts hurts, aren't the inverters more efficient than 96% these days?

Any other pros/cons? I didn't think I'd get talked out of a solar array on a solar forum, ha. But if it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the insight guys, part of me still want s to do it.
                          $0.10/kWh seems a high commercial rate, but I'm ignorant of what you might pay.

Read the PVWatts help screens to get info on what that 14 % system loss parameter includes. There's more to PV than you apparently know. 40,000 kWh/yr. of a 25 STC kW system is a reasonable SWAG for prelim. design, but still a SWAG.

I respectfully suggest you consider getting the part of you that still wants to do it more informed. You may still want PV, but education can often reveal some sobering insights.

Things are not as they seem at first glance or as simple as the media and those with skin in the game would like you to believe. Just walk in with your eyes and mind fully open.

Comment

I didn't think I'd get talked out of a solar array on a solar forum, ha. But if it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense.
                            Follow the money. This is the only Solar site not ran by people trying to sell you something. No one here here is paid a dime to advocate or sell you anything. Me and a few other members are pros. Now go to Arizona Wind and Sun Forum where they sell equipment and paid moderators, and they will trip over themselves trying to convince you. AZ W&S forum could care less about factsas they are full of advocates and salesman. Look up Dan Keagle over there.

The owners of this site are in Australia and cannot sell you anything. You came to the right forum for facts, not advocacy or sales.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Off Grid solar homeowner here, retired electronics engineer. Only off grid because the power company wanted far more to run power to me, than I could build off-grid system for.
                              When I was in Los Angeles, I had Grid Tie array on my house there.
                              You have to run honest numbers and see if it works

Comment

Working...
                              X