Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some quick help/direction on conduit run to addon panels

Hello,

I'm really hoping you all can help me out....and appreciate it in advance!

I'm here in California and I currently have a solar array which consists of the following:

*30 Solarworld 285w panels (Broken up into 2 strings of 15 each)
    *Solaredge P300 Optimizers
    *Solaredge 7600 inverter
    *Current wire used is 10 awg 1000v DC PV wire.

Here is my new project:

*Add 4 new Solarworld 290w Panels to my existing system (2 onto each string, so new total will be 17 panels on each string. This has been OK'd by Solaredge)
    *4 new Solaredge P320 microinverters.
    *Quickmount PV racking and replacement flat tile mounts
    *Quickmount Tile Conduit mounts

***My question is this. As per code I'm going to run EMT conduit from my current racks on my south side roof to the new panels which will be on my west garage roof. That run is approx. 30 ft. I'm using 3/4" EMT which is over kill to run a total of 4 - 10 awg PV wire (2 wires from string 1 and 2 wires from string 2) to the new west facing array. How do I come off of the racking system of my current south facing rack and connect to my new west facing racking? Can I use a 1-gang weatherproof Box with 3/4" holes on each end and then couple that to the 3/4" emt? Also, I need to use water-tight strain reliefs where the wires will be going into the box from the arrays, so is it ok for that to be PVC or does it have to be metal for the EMT? I can run PVC Junction boxes and EMT together right? Or do they make a waterproof EMT box that I'm suppose to use with EMT conduit?

Lastly, where do I mount the junction boxes? Do I drill holes in the PVC Junction box and attach it with 2 bolt to the side or bottom of each rack? I basically want to be sure I'm coming into the box correctly and going out of it correctly and want to be sure it's ok to use the PVC junction box with EMT conduit. I'll also be using water tight emt couplers to couple the emt conduit together.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mihzyd777; 05-15-2018, 01:54 PM.

Originally posted by mihzyd777 View Post
    *Solaredge P300 Microinverters

*4 new Solaredge P320 microinverters.
    SolarEdge does not make MicroInverters.
    The P300 and P320 are Optimizers.

*Add 4 new Solarworld 290w Panels to my existing system (2 onto each string, so new total will be 17 panels on each string. This has been OK'd by Solaredge)

***My question is this. As per code I'm going to run EMT conduit from my current racks on my south side roof to the new panels which will be on my west garage roof. That run is approx. 30 ft. I'm using 3/4" EMT which is over kill to run a total of 4 - 10 awg PV wire (2 wires from string 1 and 2 wires from string 2) to the new west facing array.

I would suggest that instead of adding 2 new SolarWorld 290W modules to each string you instead rewire two existing 285W modules from one string to the other, and then add the 4 new 290w modules to the one string such that you have two strings.
    One with 17 X 285W and the other with 13 X 285W and 4 290W modules.
    This is also an approved configuration from SolarEdge design and will make wiring much simpler as you would only need 2 - 10 awg wire in the conduit to the west array.

As for how to get there I would suggest running the conduit INSIDE of the attic. It should be Metal EMT and you would need two of these that can be mounted UNDER the arrays (lift one PV module and mount it under that module).

http://www.rstcenterprises.com/solad...closures.phtml
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thanks so much for the response. Couple questions. So if I add the 4 new panels to one string and remove 2 of the old panels, then that will put me at 5,435 watts on that one string that should be ok right with the Solaredge 7600? Also, this won't cause an inbalance of any sort since one string will be more powerful than the other?

As for running conduit I don't mind I just really don't want to go into my attic for many reasons to be honest and since the current system and new panels will be in a place where nobody will really see anything especially if I spray the emt conduit to match the roof.

So as per the Junction box, I won't use the PVC junction boxes is that correct and will use EMT junction boxes instead? When you say lift the PV module and mount it under that, do I mount it on the side of the railing then and towards the end of the rack or would it be ok if I mounted the junction box to the outside of the rack on the side?

Lastly, I guess I still need direction on using strain relievers coming off of the junction box. Is it ok to use PVC strain relievers that are waterproof? I couldn't seem to find EMT strain relief that were also waterproof and had a small opening to stick the wires into that's why I ask.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks so much for the response. Couple questions. So if I add the 4 new panels to one string and remove 2 of the old panels, then that will put me at 5,435 watts on that one string that should be ok right with the Solaredge 7600? Also, this won't cause an inbalance of any sort since one string will be more powerful than the other?

SolarEdge strings do NOT have to be balanced in any way.

As for the watts which inverter do you have? I assume the SE7600H and not the SE7600A.
        The SE7600A can only have 5250w per string
        the SE7600H can have 5700w per string

In any case you would have :

17 X 285w = 4845w
        13 X 285 + 4 X 290 = 4865w
        Both are easily within the range for both inverters.

As for running conduit I don't mind I just really don't want to go into my attic for many reasons to be honest and since the current system and new panels will be in a place where nobody will really see anything especially if I spray the emt conduit to match the roof.
        It is your house. you will need to get some supports to support the conduit along the way. Junction boxes are typically mounted to the rails under the array.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
        X