Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loveshack
    • Aug 2017

Volts but no amps

hi I have installed two 200 watt system on my boat. I also have an onboard ac charger, charging my batteries . This charger is currently on and working. I have noticed that one of my epever mppt is showing volts but no amps. Any idea why this would happen. Would it be due to my ac charger, or a loose connection ? Any ideas.
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Loveshack
    hi I have installed two 200 watt system on my boat. I also have an onboard ac charger, charging my batteries . This charger is currently on and working. I have noticed that one of my epever mppt is showing volts but no amps. Any idea why this would happen. Would it be due to my ac charger, or a loose connection ? Any ideas.
    Most likely the AC charger is pushing the voltage up such that the MPPT CC thinks the battery is fully charged.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Most likely the AC charger is the Stiffer Source. So what you are seeing is normal. In RV's and Boats when you are on shore power with a charger, or engine running with an Isolator, the solar is not going to do anything.

Only other possibility is an open circuit between Controller and Battery, or Controller and Panels. If you have indicator lights on the controller, and they are illuminated, the batteries are connected. Real easy to see what is going on with a volt meter.

Measure the Battery Voltage at the Battery and output of the Controller. If they are equal, they are connected. Then measure the Voltage at the Input of the Controller from the panels. It should be higher than the output by several volts.

Or just disconnect from shore power and let the batteries discharge and see if the solar wakes up. But as long as you have shore power, your solar will just collect dust, that is how it should work.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...