Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PV home run thru rapid-shutdown control box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PV home run thru rapid-shutdown control box?

Hi all. I'm trying to wrap up a DIY home solar install, and currently routing the DC wiring from the PV array, through a rapid shutdown box, to the inverter (SMA SB 3.0).

This RSD box is up on the roof within 1 foot of the array (per 2017 NEC), and I'm running my DC wires and RSD control wire in the same 3/4" conduit off the roof, down the wall.

Can I route the DC wires right through the RSD control box, or should I include a T conduit body to link in the control box? (Hopefully my attached attempt at drawing the situation will help)

Thanks for your input!

Attached Files

If there is room for the other wires in the box, then I would say go for it.

Comment

What rapid shut down switch is that?
      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Most electric codes do not allow the running of wires "through" an enclosure without requiring some type of terminations inside. IMO I would run a separate raceway.

Comment

Matrix, it is the SMA rapid shutdown controller that comes with the SMA rapid shutdown box itself: https://www.sma-america.com/products...wn-system.html

SunEagle: Thanks. By separate raceway, do you mean a completely separate conduit from the rapid shutdown box, such that the control wire does not run through the same conduit as the PV wires? The only bummer to that is I'd have to drill a second hole in the eaves of my roof.

Comment

Originally posted by btrimboli View Post
            Matrix, it is the SMA rapid shutdown controller that comes with the SMA rapid shutdown box itself: https://www.sma-america.com/products...wn-system.html

SunEagle: Thanks. By separate raceway, do you mean a completely separate conduit from the rapid shutdown box, such that the control wire does not run through the same conduit as the PV wires? The only bummer to that is I'd have to drill a second hole in the eaves of my roof.
            You need to check your electric code with reference to different types of wiring circuits in the same conduit. The reason for keeping the circuits separate is because if you have a low voltage (<50V) control wires they might not work if they are run along with a higher voltage (>300V) AC or DC wiring. Usually some type of separation is required.

Comment

Working...
            X