X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onlineshopper858
    • Apr 2018

Expose wiring on the roof

Hi,

I recently had a leak in the house and had to get my solar panels removed and reinstalled. Now I see that the wires are exposed on the roof. Is this fine and expected in an install?

Thank you,
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The wires may have been left on the roof (i don't click on obfuscated, short links) and would be laced back into the support frames after panels are reinstalled. I would worry if the MC4 connectors are exposed to the damp night air, the interior is not weather rated, the O rings are supposed to provide protection. There are not supposed to be loose wires on the roof after all is put back.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• onlineshopper858
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
      The wires may have been left on the roof (i don't click on obfuscated, short links) and would be laced back into the support frames after panels are reinstalled. I would worry if the MC4 connectors are exposed to the damp night air, the interior is not weather rated, the O rings are supposed to provide protection. There are not supposed to be loose wires on the roof after all is put back.
      Here's the picture of the roof, I don't know why I couldn't upload it before.
      Attached Files

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

That wiring is technically code, but is pretty lame workmanship. PV rated wire (or it could be the previously type USE-2 wire) has the best, toughest insulation there is - and is rated for exposed use on roofs, but my practice is to never allow it continuous exposure to the sun. How hard would it have been to run a little piece of conduit from the j-box over under the array? Kinda tells you something about your installer...
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Who un/reinstalled the array ? If it was the PV installer, I'd take him/her to task.

If the in/reinstall was done by the folks who found/repaired the leak,I'm not surprised. Roofers are not usually considered good PV installers/service personnel. If so, that probably ought to be on your nickel.

Comment

• onlineshopper858
            • Apr 2018

Well the company is a roofing/solar company so the person doing the Solar part from what I can tell does it primarily. They had separate groups that came out, one for Solar and one to do the roofing. Is it too much to ask them to do the conduit from the j-box over under the array? I'm not really a picky person but just don't want several years down the road and the PV is rotted away. Now if that PV will last years in the Sun and this is standard practice I might be ok with it or better yet is this worth making it an issue?

Thanks!

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

It looks like piss poor wire management practices here. Even if the wire exposed is PV wire it is just hanging loose and could, in time, chafe through the insulation on those concrete tiles.Whomever replaced the array sure doesn't seem to care enough to even zip tie the wires together.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• onlineshopper858
                • Apr 2018

Sounds like I need to bring this up. Thanks!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by onlineshopper858
                  Well the company is a roofing/solar company so the person doing the Solar part from what I can tell does it primarily. They had separate groups that came out, one for Solar and one to do the roofing.
                  Might be a suggestion that the two groups talk to one another 1X/awhile.

Comment

Working...