X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bohueilin
    • Nov 2017

[Question] Install Solar Systems on Duplex Property

Hi there,

We are thinking to install PV Solar Systems on our duplex property where our neighbor is not interested as they plan to move out in 7~8 years from now.

They agree they are okay with us installing the solar systems "on our side of roof", so the current plan is that we need to update our deed document stating that we/each unit owns our own side of roof.

Right now I am thinking what is the best way to do the deed update, want to make sure do things right to avoid potential issues/arguments during/after their future sale processes and with new owners.

Does anyone have dealt with similar simulation before? Or can share some tips on what are the things I MUST make sure to have in order to do these things right?

Thank you guys and happy 2018
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Most duplex homes we have dealt with specifically own their roof and exterior in their side.
    How is yours set up that you do not?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bohueilin
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal
      Most duplex homes we have dealt with specifically own their roof and exterior in their side.
      How is yours set up that you do not?
      Is that a common case? My neighbor and I have purchased the brand new property from this builder where the deed states that we will own roof and house exterior jointly. We have one Master Insurance policy that we split the cost.

Is this not normal?

(We are located in MA)

Thanks

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

A duplex should only jointly one the common wall and carport. Actually, I'd own both, and rent half out.
        The problems that present themselves of the other occupant having "responsibilities" for my roof, and them holding me responsible for theirs........
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bohueilin

Is that a common case? My neighbor and I have purchased the brand new property from this builder where the deed states that we will own roof and house exterior jointly. We have one Master Insurance policy that we split the cost.

Is this not normal?

(We are located in MA)

Thanks
          No that is not normal. It is more of a condo situation with just two owners.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bohueilin
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

No that is not normal. It is more of a condo situation with just two owners.
            I think you are right, thats what it says for our property type... "Condominium"...

Comment

• bohueilin
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
              A duplex should only jointly one the common wall and carport. Actually, I'd own both, and rent half out.
              The problems that present themselves of the other occupant having "responsibilities" for my roof, and them holding me responsible for theirs........
              Thank you for your replying,, we do co-own a common wall and our drive way is basically shared as well, not sure what you meant by "own full roof and rent half out here" if you are talking about get more solar panels, generate electricity and sell them that is not an option within my area

Thanks for your info :P

Comment

• bohueilin
                • Nov 2017

Has anyone dealt with similar situation before ?

Greatly appreciated any thoughts...

Thanks

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bohueilin
                  Has anyone dealt with similar situation before ?

Greatly appreciated any thoughts...

Thanks
                  I'd consult an attorney knowledgeable in such things rather than semi autonomous opinions on a solar energy forum.

Comment

Working...