Who's been walking on my Panels !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been walking on my Panels !!!

Passed my PoCo inspection so now I'm waiting for them to set the meter. Happened to walk by the front and noticed some new footprints about 42" up from the edge....
    As you can see they are about 6"+ long - looks like he hopped up, took about 2 steps and came down on the next panel. Fortunately everything held together and the glass didn't break. We have seen similar tracks out in the back pasture recently so best not venture out at night! And I thought roadrunners were going to be a problem.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those might be bear tracks...

Anyone see anything like this before?

Get a trail camera. I am wondering about what managed to bend a couple of my fence T posts
    in the night. Bruce Roe

Comment

Mangling T-posts is some serious mass- had a horse go thru a fence got tangled up and it didn't bend the posts- maybe some steel horsepower?
      Surveillance cameras are on my list but the Wife needed a new vacuum unexpectedly.
      I would venture to say this is a young 'un by the closeness of the feet, but 6" long ???

Comment

The other markings toward the top and on the right edge of the subject panel and on the left side of the adjacent panel appear to be similar in appearance if not shape.

What kind of wildlife do you have around you ?

Do the markings wash off easily?

Comment

Syberdog , I could lend you a trail camera or two. I'll come out and we'll set them up after the PoCo gets the meter in on Wednesday, that way I can also see the system operating. Looks like a bear to me.

Edit - I passed this along to a couple of hunter friends who have pretty well convinced me it couldn't be bear, even if the bear was doing something goofy to combat the slickness and tilt.

Our new opinion is that they are human hand prints. Could have been there for a while just waiting for enough dust to bring them out. Doubt they are from the installation, that was quite a while ago...
          Last edited by AzRoute66; 12-16-2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
            Syberdog ,

Our new opinion is that they are human hand prints. Could have been there for a while just waiting for enough dust to bring them out. Doubt they are from the installation, that was quite a while ago...

Bingo!
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post

I was going to write this, but didn't want to be a party pooper for the thread.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by Syberdog View Post
                Mangling T-posts is some serious mass- had a horse go thru a fence
                got tangled up and it didn't bend the posts- maybe some steel horsepower?
                Surveillance cameras are on my list but the Wife needed a new vacuum unexpectedly.
                Next to my 280' south border used to be a junkyard of natural and man made stuff, with a somewhat
                public trail through wilds close by. There was a trail at the SE corner, where critters would come down
                a hill, dodge the corner of my neighbors horse fence, and run through my open lot.

I spent a lot of effort cleaning everything up when it became my "solar acre". Just before the latest
                project, a T bar fence went up with 6' of wire mesh and electric/barbed wire above that. Ought to
                discourage the deer, I thought. But whatever came down that trail has managed to do damage
                multiple times, it has been reinforced quite a bit now and I check the fence daily.

A trail camera uses its batteries, will record only when wildlife is detected, and may work in the
                dark. Go out and review it periodically, I should too. Bruce Roe

Comment

Well....I think I agree...
                  After looking at the bear Track in the dirt out back (with claws showing), it is different from the one pictured, especially the "heel". Some of my hand prints are dusted up too, but are are different. I can only think of one other big creature with paws that big... Are ya with me AzRout66? (heh heh ).
                  I am going to agree with the consensus that it is an artifact left over from the installation that just now showed up with the dust recently kicked up by our winds....
                  Last edited by Syberdog; 12-16-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Deer will usually jump a fence, they can clear some pretty high ones. The best deer fence I have seen is a (random) zig-zag of low to medium wire about 4-6' wide. and only a couple feet high.

Comment

Some of my hand prints are dusted up too, but are are different. I can only think of one other big creature with paws that big... Are ya with me AzRout66? (heh heh ).
                      Um, unless you bothered to take fingerprints, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Comment

Deer will usually jump a fence, they can clear some pretty high ones. The best deer fence I have seen is a (random) zig-zag of low to medium wire about 4-6' wide. and only a couple feet high.
                        Yes, but experience has shown that these ZONED AG deer won't attempt an 8' fence. For sure the fawns
                        cannot follow for a much lower fence. The zig zag fence may work on deer, but be ignored by some other
                        critters. I have some of those too, 800 lb cable, so its difficult for deer here. Bruce Roe

Comment

Me Indian. Me hunts. Count toes. All 4 of them. Only species that have 4 toes is canine, feline, and hares. Give you a hint, it is not a rabbit and the heel prints give it away.
                          Last edited by Sunking; 12-17-2017, 09:58 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                            Me Indian. Me hunts. Count toes. All 4 of them. Only species that have 4 toes is canine, feline, and hares. Give you a hint, it is not a rabbit and the heel prints give it away.
                            What would a rabbit want with a solar array - dodging a coyote maybe ? Not a lot of tracks/markings. How'd it get off the array w/out leaving tracks ? Anything's possible but I'd be doubtful.

My money's on dirty/moist hands, 4 fingers and an outside portion of the heel of the hand and a raised thumb. I've done that - reluctantly but deliberately - lots when reaching over my array when cleaning (but with as little downward force as possible).

The mystery continues. Zombie treehugging rabbits ?

Comment

these prints are smudges due to handling when installed. i beat on my crew to never touch the glass when installing panels. the oil from a hand gets into the micro texturing PV glass has (for anti-reflection) and over time collects dust. be careful that almost anything you use to wash the glass with might due the same thing.
                              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...
                              X