Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side mount with Unirac Solarmount vs Quick Mount Tile Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side mount with Unirac Solarmount vs Quick Mount Tile Replacement?

I have Spanish tile roof (less than a year old) in Southern California. Buying materials on my own to finis an install. Have 2 quotes with different mounting systems. Is one superior over another? Installer said the Quick Mount Tile replacement system is much better than the side mount with Unirac Solarmount. Is that true?

I think QuickmountPV's Quick Hook is the more direct competitor with the Unirac side mount.

The tile replacement product is a different strategy than the hooks, probably stronger. It is marketed as an improvement on hooks, but when choosing between the two for my flat tile roof, I went with PV Quickmount's hooks.
    ​​​​​.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      I think QuickmountPV's Quick Hook is the more direct competitor with the Unirac side mount.

The tile replacement product is a different strategy than the hooks, probably stronger. It is marketed as an improvement on hooks, but when choosing between the two for my flat tile roof, I went with PV Quickmount's hooks.
      ​​​​​.
      Thanks for your information. May I ask why you choose the hook system over the tile replacement system?

Comment

Originally posted by OurLeaf12 View Post

Thanks for your information. May I ask why you choose the hook system over the tile replacement system?
        Mostly price. The tile replacement system requires the top flashing and the base mount, purchased separately. ($16.50 + $15 at one particular online retailer)

The Quick hook system at that same retailer costs $21.78, and keeps the original tile as the top flashing.

$10 per attachment with 34 attachments was a meaningful difference to me.

Looking at the installation instructions for the tile replacement system, I wasn't so confident in my ability to get the base mount in just the right spot to match the top flashing, but maybe it is easier than I'm thinking. With the hook, it was straightforward to grind a clearance slot in the bottom of the tile.

The hook system is strong enough, but it might be a little bit easier to align the tile replacement base mounts to get a straight line for the rail. They both have plenty of flashing.

If I were to do it again, I might even consider dropping down to something like SnapNRack's tile hook, available for ~$10. They don't provide the extra flashing layer, so maybe not the best choice in all situations.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Thank you for purchasing the QHooks @OurLeaf12.

When installed properly, the QHook is an excellent system for your Spanish Style roof.

As you noticed QHooks are significantly less expensive than the Tile Replacement Mount yet, they are the strongest hook in the industry. You can sleep well knowing there will be no chattering or breaking of tiles on a windy day which tends to happen on weak hooks that are typically less expensive because of the amount of strengthening material. When installed as per the instructional videos on our website, which are in accordance to the Tile Roof Institute, it will not void your new roof warranty. No other solar hook can say that in confidence. Be sure to follow the instructions verbatim and if you need documentation, I would be happy to provide that.

For your comparative knowledge, Quick Mount PV developed the Tile Replacement Mount to increase the speed of tile roof installations by replacing the tile so the installer does not have to cut or grind which tend to break from either walking on the roof or from the drilling of tile notches. Certainly the product is more expensive because it is more material, but if you want to turn the installation from a 4 hour job to a 1.5 hour job, then may I suggest the Tile Replacement Mount or the Tile Replacement Flashings with QHooks. By replacing the tile with a secondary flashing, you will have additional tiles at the end of the job so you can replace the tiles that have been broken during the job progress. Since there would be zero need for drilling, you can start earlier in the cooler part of the morning and your neighbors will appreciate not being jolted by the loud drilling. And your lungs will thank you too from not breathing in the cement / silicone dust.

The same type of benefits can be had with the QHooks as well. When you use the Tile Replacement Flashing with the QHooks, it essentially has the same benefits where you keep your extra tiles to replace the damaged tiles and it will save you a significant amount of time on the roof which will be appreciated on a hot day.

Here is a link to an installer that used QHooks with the Tile Replacement Flashing which gives you an idea of what to expect.

https://thesolarreport.org/2017/08/1...chment-system/

If you are looking for a solar system that does not bring you grief and can stand the rigorous test of time, do not skimp on the mounts. You are potentially building a family heirloom that can be passed to the next generation.

If you would like me to send you a few samples to compare and test on your roof, and I would be happy to send you any mount necessary to help you feel good about the project.

Anthony from Quick Mount PV

phone # deleted
          Last edited by Mike90250; 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Sensij. Did you use the flashing on the Quick Hooks? It seems like you feel it

Comment

Working...
            X