X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

7.5KW system Almost Finished.. HELP WITH LABELS

I'm almost done installing my ground mounted solar system.
    Instead of using the SMA wireless connection, I opted to run a hard conduit with a cat6 line. I think I need to label the junction box and conduit but I can't find labels for "Ethernet" or "Network Connection"
    Any ideas where I can find them?
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Murby
    I'm almost done installing my ground mounted solar system.
    Instead of using the SMA wireless connection, I opted to run a hard conduit with a cat6 line. I think I need to label the junction box and conduit but I can't find labels for "Ethernet" or "Network Connection"
    Any ideas where I can find them?
    if that conduit and JB doesn't include any power wires (and it shouldn't) they should be of little concern to inspectors. I explained to mine that those are 'data cables' and that was it, they had 0 interest to them after that. I have no labels on them either.

Comment

• Murby
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

Sweet.. Then I'll just wait for the inspector and see if he says anything. Thanks!

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

Sweet.. Then I'll just wait for the inspector and see if he says anything. Thanks!
        I had to open my inverters, JBs (including data one), AC disconnect and subpanel covers before the inspection but you probably know that. Make sure your PV cables on the roof are tied up in such way none is touching the roof. I was unable to find NEC reference for that but it was easier to fix than to argue. If you have such viewing point the entire array bottom plane can be examined from the ground.

Comment

• tyab
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2016

NEC article 800 and 830 covers ethernet type communication circuits - so take a quick look though them. No NEC requirement for labeling network raceways. However you could easily for $30 (including shipping and tax) get custom labels made from pvlabels.com - I did that for the low voltage network stuff I put on my system and some future owner/service tech may appreciate your attention to detail.

Don't forget that your conduit is a wet location and thus you will want wet rated CAT 6. You will find that wet rated CAT 6 is usually direct burial and UV rated also, but thats ok. While not required - I would suggest making sure you use a shielded CAT 6 cable - again it will help prevent EMI issues. If you are not savy at your own shielded CAT 6 connectors (and don't have the tools for it), then just figure out your total distance and buy a premade one longer than you need and use that. Many places will make you a custom cable for slightly more - just google custom cat 6 cables. Do make sure you get a wet rated one otherwise the insulation can ingress water and that may lead to issues down the road in your communications.
          It is also a good idea (but not required under 800.90 for non-aerial) to have a CAT 6 surge protector right where it enters your home. Run the EGC from the surge protector to your service ground in as straight and short as possible given your setup - the goal here is a single ground point at your home. Look for gas tube type surge protectors for best protection.

Comment

• Murby
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2017

My system is a ground mount, not roof mount.
            Had my electrical inspection yesterday and passed... He was here for less than 5 minutes.. took one look at my system, one look at the meter-disconnect, and one quick look in the basement... Gave me a tag and said it looked good... then he left...

Talk about easy...

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

glad it was easy. Not as easy as a bootleg panel on the roof plugged into an extension cord, but safe.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Murby
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
                glad it was easy. Not as easy as a bootleg panel on the roof plugged into an extension cord, but safe.
                I just had ANOTHER inspection by the mechanical inspector.. I had no idea I even needed another inspection... The guy just calls me out of the blue and says he'll be here in an hour.. HUH???

He showed up with an entourage.. two other fellas.. I'm the first in my small town to do a solar array like this and I think the inspectors were chatting with each other or something.

He showed up, most of what he said was "wow".... wrote my approval sticker, asked a ton of questions about how it all works and the financial considerations, and left..

Not a single one of these guys ever did anything meaningful as far as an inspection is concerned... and boy do they like stickers that say "Warning this" and "Caution That".. And I paid $400 for these permits? Its like some kind of mafia extortion ring...

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I just had ANOTHER inspection by the mechanical inspector.. I had no idea I even needed another inspection... The guy just calls me out of the blue and says he'll be here in an hour.. HUH???

He showed up with an entourage.. two other fellas.. I'm the first in my small town to do a solar array like this and I think the inspectors were chatting with each other or something.

He showed up, most of what he said was "wow".... wrote my approval sticker, asked a ton of questions about how it all works and the financial considerations, and left..

Not a single one of these guys ever did anything meaningful as far as an inspection is concerned... and boy do they like stickers that say "Warning this" and "Caution That".. And I paid $400 for these permits? Its like some kind of mafia extortion ring...
                  I am not surprised by those inspectors not having a clue but still trying to do their job.

As for paying a high price for your permits, well you do live in an area under the influence of the mafia.

I guess I can call my uncle Guido. Maybe he can help fill in the blanks.

Comment

• cebury
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2011

Ha! Glad it wasnt a nightmare for you. Good work.

Comment

• Murby
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

I am not surprised by those inspectors not having a clue but still trying to do their job.

As for paying a high price for your permits, well you do live in an area under the influence of the mafia.

I guess I can call my uncle Guido. Maybe he can help fill in the blanks.
                      Lets just hope he's using blanks instead of live rounds! LOL

Comment

• max2k
                        • May 2015

There's no pleasing you - would you rather have them to ask for load calculations and PE stamp on the drawings so you'd get full service for your $400 ?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

The inspection is just making sure that it was done according to the plan. If it wasn't they they start doing a lot.

The work was done way before you started installing, when you sent in your plan set. They should have been reviewing the plans to make sure they were tall to code.
                          Thus when they do the inspection they just need to see that it is done to the way the plan said it was to be done.
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Lets just hope he's using blanks instead of live rounds! LOL
                            Don't worry about Uncle Guido. He is a nice calm person but has a little knowledge of the "families".

Comment

• Murby
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by max2k

There's no pleasing you - would you rather have them to ask for load calculations and PE stamp on the drawings so you'd get full service for your $400 ?
                              Hahaha.. that's exactly what I was expecting.. just seems to me that paying $400 for three five minute visits is grossly excessive.

Comment

Working...