Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy and inexpensive means for connecting a SolarEdge inverter to the Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know if, I can request this for my system or would the installer have to request this? Also, in the same context do they discuss additional charges for the increased usage or are there plans/pricing for the additional data usage?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattmitz View Post
      Do you know if, I can request this for my system or would the installer have to request this? Also, in the same context do they discuss additional charges for the increased usage or are there plans/pricing for the additional data usage?
      you can try.

the cellular kits are pre paid.
      Do you know if you have the older CS model or the new GSM model cellular kit?
      The GSMs come in different data packs
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

you can try.

the cellular kits are pre paid.
        Do you know if you have the older CS model or the new GSM model cellular kit?
        The GSMs come in different data packs
        I have the new GSM Kit. Kind of frustrating to go outside and see an error code on the inverter and have no idea how long it has been that way. Also have a LG RESU battery on the system and could not see the drain on the battery last night. In fact after the data uploaded last night, it appears that the battery did not drain at all. I cross checked with my utility data, and confirmed that I was on the utility supply at/after sundown. It would be nice to have the real time data to notice these things earlier.

Comment

Why not run an ethernet cable to the inverter? or use a netgear power line extension kit.

Comment

Why not run an ethernet cable to the inverter? or use a netgear power line extension kit.
            The inverter is located on the outside of my garage, approximately 40+ linear feet from my router. I could install a repeater but then I run into wiring/ power supply issues to the external location. I am open to any other ideas but all that I have researched thus far require some significant modification.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattmitz View Post

The inverter is located on the outside of my garage, approximately 40+ linear feet from my router. I could install a repeater but then I run into wiring/ power supply issues to the external location. I am open to any other ideas but all that I have researched thus far require some significant modification.
              twisted pair is good for 100m though you can often go much further on small networks. 40' is nothing,

Comment

I would just ask the installer to hardwire it via ethernet and call it a day. The electrician will already be there running other lines, it shouldn't be too much involved to get a ethernet cable to where you need it to be. I would be willing to bet a lot on them throwing it in. I didn't even think about it, figuring that i'd run ethernet afterwards if needed and they just automatically did it. I did get them to throw the wiring and outlet in for a EV down the road JUST in cases I needed it. Might as well have them run a 4 conductor while they're doing everything else anyways.

Comment

Hi All,

I've just gone solar, and the installer setup the inverter with the GSM cell communication. Anyways, this only updates every 4 hours with poor sampling rate, so I'd like to change this.

I've looked everywhere for answers to my question. I don't understand why you have to have a Gateway Kit (accompanied by a Zigbee) instead of just dropping in the Wi-fi Plug-in. I'm in the USA, and folks mention this as the reason.

Can't I just buy the Wi-fi Plug-in and have that connect directly to my wireless router (not through the gateway kit)? The installation videos linked on the solaredge site, show exactly this being done. Seems the Wifi plugin is new as of June 2018.

I have a SE6000H-US.

Thanks,
                  DS

Comment

Originally posted by Slaterd View Post
                    Hi All,
                    I've looked everywhere for answers to my question. I don't understand why you have to have a Gateway Kit (accompanied by a Zigbee) instead of just dropping in the Wi-fi Plug-in. I'm in the USA, and folks mention this as the reason.

Can't I just buy the Wi-fi Plug-in and have that connect directly to my wireless router (not through the gateway kit)? The installation videos linked on the solaredge site, show exactly this being done. Seems the Wifi plugin is new as of June 2018.

I have a SE6000H-US.

Thanks,
                    DS
                    There is NO WiFi plugin in the US!

you can hard wire to ethernet or use an ethernet gateway, or the zigbee gateway, or GSM. choose one.

Comment

There is NO WiFi plugin in the US!

you can hard wire to ethernet or use an ethernet gateway, or the zigbee gateway, or GSM. choose one.
                      ButchDeal - thank you for quick reply, agree with your statement as that's what I'm tracking too... but...

I'm just trying to understand how if I were to purchase and obtain the Wifi Plugin how I cannot plug (pinout is identical, with legible markings "zb/wifi") that beast into my SE6k and transmit that signal to my router. I have the "Wi-Fi Conf" (shows <N/A>, also have seperate option for "Zig-Bee Conf" which currently shows <N/A> obviously) option available on my SE admin menu. What are my limitations, and how does the plugin not work? Has the information on the interwebs just not been updated to June 2018 in the US?

Thanks again,
                      DS

Comment

ButchDeal - thank you for quick reply, agree with your statement as that's what I'm tracking too... but...

I'm just trying to understand how if I were to purchase and obtain the Wifi Plugin how I cannot plug (pinout is identical, with legible markings "zb/wifi") that beast into my SE6k and transmit that signal to my router. I have the "Wi-Fi Conf" (shows <N/A>, also have seperate option for "Zig-Bee Conf" which currently shows <N/A> obviously) option available on my SE admin menu. What are my limitations, and how does the plugin not work? Has the information on the interwebs just not been updated to June 2018 in the US?

Thanks again,
                        DS
                        Solaredge used to sell an EU wifi card that wirks in the EU, not the US.
                        zigbee is not WIFi and will not work with anything but a zigbee gateway.

Comment

Solaredge used to sell an EU wifi card that wirks in the EU, not the US.
                          zigbee is not WIFi and will not work with anything but a zigbee gateway.
                          Shooting you a thanks reply, your info checked good with info I received from Solaredge directly. Miffed at reasoning for no wifi in the US, but anyhoo...

I went ahead and got the LAN connection working by stealing my pre-wired telephone connection (who uses these anyways?!), re-crimping/configuring those existing 4 lines (cat5 run to outside, only 4 wires used throughout house, all you need for ethernet), and plugging into my inverter. System checks good.

Just a thank you for your quick reply, and info for others to steal their phone connection vs. making additional holes in house and running wires!

Comment

Shooting you a thanks reply, your info checked good with info I received from Solaredge directly. Miffed at reasoning for no wifi in the US, but anyhoo...

I went ahead and got the LAN connection working by stealing my pre-wired telephone connection (who uses these anyways?!), re-crimping/configuring those existing 4 lines (cat5 run to outside, only 4 wires used throughout house, all you need for ethernet), and plugging into my inverter. System checks good.

Just a thank you for your quick reply, and info for others to steal their phone connection vs. making additional holes in house and running wires!
                            Hey, I'm in the same boat...Solar Edge with GSM cellular and wanting to go the ethernet hardwire route.. Once you pop the cover off, is there an ethernet jack just waiting and readymade or is this something I have to get and add to it? Then once I plug in, and go to communications and switch over, does the GSM get used as a backup or not at all?

And finally, once switched over to ethernet, are you getting updates every 5 min now, instead of 4hrs?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by JroeFL View Post

Hey, I'm in the same boat...Solar Edge with GSM cellular and wanting to go the ethernet hardwire route.. Once you pop the cover off, is there an ethernet jack just waiting and readymade or is this something I have to get and add to it? Then once I plug in, and go to communications and switch over, does the GSM get used as a backup or not at all?

And finally, once switched over to ethernet, are you getting updates every 5 min now, instead of 4hrs?

Thanks in advance!
                              Hey JroeFL,
                              ​​​
                              I'll try and really dumb this down (not for you, just to help others as well)....

-------------------------
                              When I popped off the telephone cover (used a screw driver squirrely like as I didn't have a socket to take it off properly) there was not an ethernet jack just waiting, but the cable running into my house was a CAT5 cable. There were only 2 strands (all that's needed for Tx/Rx for phone data) being used out of the 8 strands (the unused strands were just bundled up inside the box).

I then checked the wiring scheme inside my house closest to my router (popped off CAT3 wall plate) and there were 4 strands (all that's needed for ethernet Tx/Rx) connected to wall plate. I noted the color scheme.

I tried searching my house for my HomeRun to confirm wiring scheme, but couldn't locate it so I just pressed with assuming it was pinned out the same.

Back outside at telephone cover I used an ethernet crimper to slap on a RJ-45 data plug making sure to use the strand colors I saw inside my house and put it in the standard ethernet pinout configuration. (Note: the strand colors used differed from what you'll see as "standard" on the interwebs, but doesn't matter as long as outside matches with inside house configuration)

Back inside at wall plate I connected the wiring strands in same configuration as what was done outside. (Note: the wall plate has connections on back for each CAT5 strand, so no RJ-45 data plug required here)

At Inverter I followed installation instructions for the SolarEdge on making an ethernet/LAN connection. I routed the CAT5 through an unused spot on inverter and then slapped a RJ-45 data plug onto the cable in same wiring scheme as used above (not necessary to make color scheme same here, just as long as both ends of CAT5 cable are same color scheme). I connected the RJ-45 to the inverter port and closed up the inverter cover.

I snaked the CAT5 coming from inverter into my telephone cover and where the now new (step completed above) RJ-45 connector is located. Then I slapped on a RJ-45 connector in same color scheme as what was done at inverter. Then used an In-line ethernet cord coupler to connect RJ-45 that runs to inverter to RJ-45 that runs into my house, and closed all this stuff up inside the telephone box.

Inside house I connected another CAT5 cable from wall plate to my router.

At inverter I configured it to use LAN and not cellular, and immediately after exiting (or maybe before, can't recall) out of settings it established an IP address.

Success!

To answer your questions:

I don't know if GSM gets used as backup. I haven't tried disconnecting my LAN. If you get this set up please let me know.

Once switched over to ethernet I'm getting updates to the graphical output view every 15 minutes, but the input/output kW numbers seen on SolarEdge app/website are updated instantly when something is turned on. When I turn on the coffee maker the kW's immediately jump up to my coffee maker's wattage; It's pretty handy to know when the wife has all the lights on, and when she's starting to make my dinner, dry clothes.

Hope that helps.

Here was my shopping list:
                              1. RJ-45 CAT5 Data Plugs (I used 5, but you can use just 4 if you prefer not using the actual standard RJ-45 port inside inverter).
                              2. In-line Ethernet Cord Coupler (it's enclosed in my telephone box, and used it to connect the ethernet from inverter to house CAT5 connection).
                              3. Ethernet Crimper.
                              4. Ethernet Wall Plate.
                              5. CAT5 Cable (I had some lying around that I used).
                              6. RJ-45 Network Cable Tester (didn't use... returned it to store).

Comment

Hey JroeFL,
                                ​​​
                                I'll try and really dumb this down (not for you, just to help others as well)....

When I popped off the telephone cover (used a screw driver squirrely like as I didn't have a socket to take it off properly) there was not an ethernet jack just waiting, but the cable running into my house was a CAT5 cable. There were only 2 strands (all that's needed for Tx/Rx for phone data) being used out of the 8 strands (the unused strands were just bundled up inside the box).

I then checked the wiring scheme inside my house closest to my router (popped off CAT3 wall plate) and there were 4 strands (all that's needed for ethernet Tx/Rx) connected to wall plate. I noted the color scheme.

I tried searching my house for my HomeRun to confirm wiring scheme, but couldn't locate it so I just pressed with assuming it was pinned out the same.

Back outside at telephone cover I used an ethernet crimper to slap on a RJ-45 data plug making sure to use the strand colors I saw inside my house and put it in the standard ethernet pinout configuration. (Note: the strand colors used differed from what you'll see as "standard" on the interwebs, but doesn't matter as long as outside matches with inside house configuration)

Back inside at wall plate I connected the wiring strands in same configuration as what was done outside. (Note: the wall plate has connections on back for each CAT5 strand, so no RJ-45 data plug required here)

At Inverter I followed installation instructions for the SolarEdge on making an ethernet/LAN connection. I routed the CAT5 through an unused spot on inverter and then slapped a RJ-45 data plug onto the cable in same wiring scheme as used above (not necessary to make color scheme same here, just as long as both ends of CAT5 cable are same color scheme). I connected the RJ-45 to the inverter port and closed up the inverter cover.

I snaked the CAT5 coming from inverter into my telephone cover and where the now new (step completed above) RJ-45 connector is located. Then I slapped on a RJ-45 connector in same color scheme as what was done at inverter. Then used an In-line ethernet cord coupler to connect RJ-45 that runs to inverter to RJ-45 that runs into my house, and closed all this stuff up inside the telephone box.

Inside house I connected another CAT5 cable from wall plate to my router.

At inverter I configured it to use LAN and not cellular, and immediately after exiting (or maybe before, can't recall) out of settings it established an IP address.

Success!

To answer your questions:

I don't know if GSM gets used as backup. I haven't tried disconnecting my LAN. If you get this set up please let me know.

Once switched over to ethernet I'm getting updates to the graphical output view every 15 minutes, but the input/output kW numbers seen on SolarEdge app/website are updated instantly when something is turned on. When I turn on the coffee maker the kW's immediately jump up to my coffee maker's wattage; It's pretty handy to know when the wife has all the lights on, and when she's starting to make my dinner, dry clothes.

Hope that helps.

Here was my shopping list:
                                1. RJ-45 CAT5 Data Plugs (I used 5, but you can use just 4 if you prefer not using the actual standard RJ-45 port inside inverter).
                                2. In-line Ethernet Cord Coupler (it's enclosed in my telephone box, and used it to connect the ethernet from inverter to house CAT5 connection).
                                3. Ethernet Crimper.
                                4. Ethernet Wall Plate.
                                5. CAT5 Cable (I had some lying around that I used).
                                6. RJ-45 Network Cable Tester (didn't use... returned it to store).

Hey, Thanks for getting back to me; and really appreciate the walk through of your setup/process.

I think the only remaining question is to clarify, where I assumed based on your response the answer is yes; but is there a Ethernet jack on the solar edge inverter itself, once the panel is off? Or is it a punch down block, where you have to terminate the Ethernet into the inverter itself?

Thanks,
                                Jordan

Comment

Working...
                                X