Solar PV system sizing for new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar PV system sizing for new build

I have recently been approached by a commercial property developer to price up installing solar PV on some new warehouses they have in the pipeline. The units have not yet been built, have no expected energy usage. I have the footprint (Roof Area) and the roofing material. They vary from office blocks (4000m2), wine storage warehouses (10000m2) and general distribution centres (16000m2)

Is there a way to determine a recommended system size for the solar system and is it easier to install during the construction phase or retrofit afterwards once the units are completed.

Look forward to getting some insights from other members.

Thanks,
    Barns

The important part is going to be what states they are in. With no real electric usage they will not be able to use net metering, unless they fall in states with virtual net metering and the company has other property that uses more power in the area.
    you might be able to do some community solar in some area as well other than that they will have to settle for wholesale rates...
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Sorry, I didn't make that all that clear - they will self-consume the generated solar energy, but the architects/designers have no model of how much kWh per month is expected making it very hard to model the system size. I imagine it could be calculated using the expected office units, HVAC sizes etc. but I think it will be unlikely that they are willing to perform that sort of analysis. Given the roof sizes, I imagine that their consumption is going to fall far below what the potential installed capacity could be. Is there a rule of thumb based on Distribution Board Main breaker capacity or on the transformer size. All units will be running 400V three-phase. Perhaps its best to install once the units are commissioned, or risk of over-sizing the solar PV could be a problem.

All the units are in South Africa, where FIT are very limited.

Thanks,
      Barns

Comment

First off the ratio is usually the other way. A roof top system will hardly ever provide more kWh generation then the building uses. Which is still ok if you can at least reduce the amount that is purchased from the POCO.

Now a system can generate more power during certain hours of the day then is consumed but that over generation is wasted unless it can be sold back to the POCO or sent to an energy storage system so it can be used later when the sun isn't shining.

Based on the latitude, and compass heading of which way the panels face can provide someone with an estimated kWh generation based on the square footage of solar pv panels. That generation number can also be gotten using the PVwatts system. But again using incorrect or under values for the system losses could provide a false sense of power generation.

Comment

I'd be skeptical of someone coming to me unsolicited. If you are curious, hire a professional or professionals who also know and understand solar,its potential and its limitations to evaluate the application for potential solar cost effectiveness. Without more information than given so far, accurate opinions are difficult.

Comment

Working...
          X