Can I install a 120 volt receptical at my solar system racking?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Edit: Inetdog beat me to it...

Originally posted by Murby

Am I missing something?
    As written in an older Mike Holt thread:

The conductors between the main panel and the subpanel form an interesting area for discussion when PV backfeed is involved. Some inspectors assume that some day someone might tap a load to the feeder somewhere between the main and the sub, thus creating a situation where the feeder could be fed from both ends and overloaded. This, in their minds, justifies applying the 120% rule to the feeder conductors.

Others argue (with logic but not necessarily literal code support) that if there are no taps on the feeder now you can calculate on the basis that there will never be a load in the middle of the feeder. So the current in the feeder cannot exceed the larger of the PV output current or the feeder breaker current.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

I'm not sure how the code is going to treat this, but if you have breakers on every section of wire and outlet
      protecting them, you can hardly go wrong. Having outlets far from buildings is quite useful for temp setups;
      I used mine this week for some lights to work on the PV array in the dark. 3 outlets spread over 200' with
      GFIs and a 20A breaker, bring temp power over the last 400' of my lot. Bruce Roe

Outlet.png

Comment

• Murby
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by inetdog

What you are missing is that the earlier versions of the NEC assume that you could someday have either a fault or a newly installed load attached somewhere along the length of the feeder which would take power from both ends and therefore would not be protected by OCPD at either end.
        This unrealistic assumption was effectively rejected in the 2017 code version.
        Wow.. did it really take them until 2017 to figure out it was unrealistic? LOL..

Comment

Working...