X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger
    I picked up a NCEES national record, it definitely saves time when I need a license in many states. On the other hand there are some states where the stack is definitely stacked against letting out of state firms practice. Even with a NCEES record it took me close to 6 months to get Mass PE.

lucked out I had boss with a PE but was working in industry so we were under the industrial exemption in our state so I did a lot of designs that I normally would not get to do as a consultant due to liability. No project really kept me up at night and about 10 years ago they demoed to entire plant to the ground so other than some cut off foundations I am clear on those designs
    Most states have reciprocity but not all. CA requirements for M.E. licensure candidates taking the 2d part of the exam do at least one of the seismic design problems that NY didn't require. Fortunately, and as luck had it, I did the seismic problem as one of my choices. NY, on the other hand required an economic analysis question as one of the problem choices for all candidates. I expect the requirements and exam formats have changed at least some.

Until retirement, working for industrial outfits, I too always worked under the industrial exemption, but that never helped me sleep much (except on the job ??). Some clients contract requirements effectively required licensure by sealed/stamped designs.

Comment

• NorthRick
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
      My advice take the EIT after you complete your Jr year while all the math and theory is still fresh. Once you are out and in the real world, you never use that stuff.
      Boy, I wish I had taken that advise back in college, Or at least by the end of your senior year. I got my degree in aerospace engineering and having a PE wasn't as important in that field. After graduation, life happened and years later I was looking at becoming a civil PE. I took the EIT 9 years after college and that sucked.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by NorthRick

Boy, I wish I had taken that advise back in college, Or at least by the end of your senior year. I got my degree in aerospace engineering and having a PE wasn't as important in that field. After graduation, life happened and years later I was looking at becoming a civil PE. I took the EIT 9 years after college and that sucked.
        Severely tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously, but I couldn't resist:

Yea, but don't feel too bad. For civils I was in school with, waiting didn't matter, the EIT sucked right out of college as well. M.E.s were told the 2d part for civils is easier : Just remember two things, don't pull on concrete and don't push on a cable. The rest is in the handbooks.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          don't pull on concrete and don't push on a cable.
          I like that, but you forgot one, don't piss into the wind.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• EEng86
            • Jul 2019

I can provide Electrical PE stamp if the dwgs comply with NEC, NESC and the particular state codes. Also can provide design and specs if needed

Comment

• Jgsieve
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by EEng86
              I can provide Electrical PE stamp if the dwgs comply with NEC, NESC and the particular state codes. Also can provide design and specs if needed
              joined just to say I’d be interested in getting a stamp and structural sign off, I think I have all the info you would need.

Comment

• EEng86
                • Jul 2019

What is your email address?

Comment

• Jgsieve
                  • Mar 2020

jgsieve at gmail

thx

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jgsieve

joined just to say I’d be interested in getting a stamp and structural sign off, I think I have all the info you would need.
                    Just a comment on who's qualified to do/check/stamp structural designs: If you need a structural design/check and stamp, most EE P.E.'s can't provide that as it's most likely outside their area of competence just like structural P.E.'s can't do electrical design as it's probably outside their area of competence.

I've known and worked with a few P.E.'s who had licensure in more than one discipline, E.E. and M.E for example, but not many and none under 50+ yrs. of age. They were always a rare breed and getting less common/fewer in number all the time.

Maybe EEng86 holds multiple licensure, or has access to/knowledge of other P.E.'s who due structural/mechanical.
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 03-08-2020, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• solarix
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2015

greenlancer.com is a network of solar engineers that provide what you need at a reasonable price.
                      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Jgsieve
                        • Mar 2020

Thanks all, my county requires PE for electrical, but just documentation for structural load, my house was build in 2018 to code so I feel it will likely be ok but will try to get the truss engineer to give me something official.

Comment

• Jgsieve
                          • Mar 2020

Originally posted by EEng86
                          What is your email address?
                          Never heard from you

Comment

Working...