X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • l008com
    • Dec 2016

Uninstall Details

Hi
    Does anyone have any experience with Vivint solar uninstalling a panel system. I have a system taking up half the roof on a 1200ish sq foot ranch-style house. For complicated and off-topic reasons, it's most likely coming down. The house (like all houses in this area) has a asphalt shingle roof. What condition do they typically leave things in post-removal? Is there anything I need to do after they do their part? What will be the state of the roof after this? Will it tend to leak where they patched the holes? How do they patch the holes? I'm assuming they do bare minimum, so probably a can of that flexspray junk you see on TV late at night and that's it. I'm less concerned with holes in the vinyl siding for conduit etc since the siding is in bad shape anyway and I can patch that with silicon. But the roof isn't in bad shape and I'll likely have it for another 10+ years, and I want to make sure it doesn't leak. Also what is the typical cost they charge for this?

Here's a satellite view of my place:
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

The removal CAN be done with minimal additional damage to your roof if the people doing this job are aware and careful. The locations of the standoff/flashings has most likely has been cut up into the comp shingles and most likely will be visible. This appears to be on the backside of your building. Can you live with visible flaws? If not you may want a qualified roofer to go up there and replace the affected shingles. probably a good idea anyway just to make sure you don't have potential leaks.
    You can always reroof the backside if you have unacceptable damage.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Don't know whats going on with your lease that is prompting this, but I can tell you that the leasing companies SOP is to bluff you by offering to remove the solar system when the lease is up (or whatever). For legal reasons, they can't make giving it to you part of the lease contract, but the fact is the value of the used solar components is worth less to them than the labor (and liability) costs of removing it. Call their bluff and offer to just keep it, they will let you.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I don't, but I'd sure like to hear how it turns out. There are about 6 jobs in my HOA by Vivant. I suspect new (resale) owners will want them remover. Anything the OP can provide in the way of would be appreciated.

Comment

• l008com
          • Dec 2016

I started a new thread about the overall situation going on with my panels, to try to keep this thread on topic, about uninstallation.
          In 2014, I bought a house that had solar panels on the roof. The previous owners were about 2 years into a 20 year lease. The way it was explained to me, you

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

IMO do not have those holes in the roof filled with tar, roof patch, silicone or any other goop you might find. Remove the old damaged shingles first then fill the holes. It's OK to fill the holes but the asphalt shingles over the holes should be replaced. You need to talk to a qualified roofing contractor......then get a bunch of competing quotes to repair.

If you are handy you can do it yourself, but you need the proper tools. A roof bar that can remove the old single without damaging the surrounding shingles is a must. If possible do the job in warmer temperatures and less cracking damage will happen.

It sounds like you have a fairly new roof....so the same style and color may be still available. Check around.

Comment

• peakbagger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

If the original mounts were flashed in the best thing is to leave them in place. The problem is that they may not have been installed correctly to begin with. Vivint's laborers are going to do the bare minimum and they could care less how long the fix lasts. If the panels have been up for awhile there could be color difference between the shingles that were under the panels and next to the panels, the dark patch will fade someday. As prior poster suggested a roofer should be brought in to fix it right and that's going to entail lifting the shingles and putting new ones in place.

Comment

Working...