Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Install Timelines??? Massachusetts

Hello,
    Thank you to everyone who participates on this forum as I used this as my guide to choosing and studying solar panels for my home.

So, now, to my main issue.

I hired a company (don't want to name them in case it's against forum rules) who had a good reputation to purchase and install my panels. Well, I signed the contract with them in late June 2016. Salesman pitched that process will take about 3 months total because of permitting, etc. So he said around October. everything will be complete.

Here I am writing here, to ask, how long does it typically take? Panels have been installed in late October, but still not turned on because we are still waiting on the final approval from energy company now. So coming up in a couple of weeks, it will be 6 months that I have been waiting. Meanwhile, I have already had two billing cycles that I have paid for with my bank for these panels without any energy gains!!!

So frustrating! Wish I would have gone with my local company who lived closer to me now instead of this other company who services greater Boston area...

In NJ, waiting for approvals was brutal.
    If I were you, I'd be making phone calls twice a week.
    I lodged a written complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities against Atlantic City Electric to get them moving.

Also, there are regulations regarding how long certain parties are allowed to process (stall) the various permits.
    You need someone familiar with the MA regulations to chime in.
    Dennis
    SE5000 18 each SW185

Comment

I live in western Mass, outside of Springfield. I signed a contract with a vendor out of Greenfield on January 28, 2016. The installation of the panels and associated system components was completed and tested on April 22. The power company (Eversource) granted permission to operate on May 4.

As a side note, the payment terms of my vendor's contract were 34% due at contract signing, 32% due at delivery of materials, 32% due upon completion of installation, and 2% due when Permission to Operate was granted by the power company. I indicated to my vendor that I felt the last payment was too small and it should be increased to 15% of the contract, but he didn't want to negotiate on that point. Not sure if you contract was similarly front loaded, but if it was similar to mine, there isn't a lot of financial motivation on their part to push the power company along.
      Last edited by brewbeer; 12-08-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X