Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Truenorth
    • Oct 2016

Generator Transfer Switch Location with New Solar System

Since I've received some very helpful advice already for my new solar system installation, I have one new component I would appreciate input on. We have had several power outages this fall so I finally decided to add a backup generator since I already have hired an electrical contractor to help with my solar system. I purchased a Generac generator (model 7043) along with a 200A transfer switch. Obviously my electrical contractor will have an opinion on what will be required per the code but would like some feedback from some who already have done this before.

The basics of my layout are: Directly after the POCO meter there is a 200A disconnect then the main line runs 400FT to my main house 200A power panel. My electrical contractor is installing a Midwest Electrical Products T1220 200A termination box just before my main house power panel to combine the grid power and the solar power from my solar system (70 panels, 2 10KW SolarEdge inverters). So where should the Generac transfer switch go? Should there be another switch or piece of equipment to isolate the solar power so it doesn't get fed into the generator or vice versa? We have flexibility on where to install the MEP T1220.

I will be meeting with my electrical contractor to discuss this with him so just wanted some input to share so all concerns are addressed.

Thanks for the input!!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

best place for the transfer switch is between the MEP T1220 and your house main panel.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Truenorth
      • Oct 2016

That makes sense, when the grid power goes down then the Solaredge will shutdown and won't be feeding to the transfer switch which can then isolate the generator power. Thanks!!

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You do not have any choice where it goes. By code it must be at the Service Disconnect period. You have no say in the matter.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Truenorth
          • Oct 2016

I understand, my concern was mostly because I had solar and generator power all converging at my service disconnect so I want to be sure I get the arrangement correct. I read some of the other posts regarding generator tie-in and it seemed my situation was a little different due to my high amp inverter feeding into a termination box.

So one last dumb question if I may, is it possible that I could NOT use the MEP T1220 termination box and connect the solar feeds into the POCO side of the 200A transfer switch? I haven't even seen the transfer switch as it arrives Friday and haven't studied what they look like. I will be meeting with my electrical contractor on Friday when the generator and switch arrive so we can look over everything.

Comment

Working...