Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Side Connection - Polaris or Piercing

Hey Guys,

I'm waiting for the POCO to schedule my interruption so I can finalize my wiring which is complete other than making the final Line Side connections in my MSP.
    I'm curious what you guys recommend for this application, Polaris or Jacket Piercing Connectors. I don't think space is a concern unless the connectors are very big...

All help is appreciated.

Best,

Bryan

Originally posted by bryankloos View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm waiting for the POCO to schedule my interruption so I can finalize my wiring which is complete other than making the final Line Side connections in my MSP.
    I'm curious what you guys recommend for this application, Polaris or Jacket Piercing Connectors. I don't think space is a concern unless the connectors are very big...

All help is appreciated.

Best,

Bryan
    Since the Line side of your service disconnect may be under the jurisdiction of your POCO or your AHJ or both may claim jurisdiction, you need to determine whether in fact they will both allow IPCs to be used in the first place.
    One of the problems with anything that you do at this point in the circuit is that there is, for practical purposes, no overcurrent protection on the circuit coming from the POCO transformer. That means that whatever you use must be able to carry high fault current safely until the service wires burn out.

The POCO primary side fuses are designed to protect the network from a failed transformer and to some extent to protect the transformer from an external short circuit on the secondary. But they will definitely not be able to adequately protect the secondary wires going down to your service point.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Interesting points...
      I will lob a call into the POCO and my AHJ to see what they suggest.
      My run from the MSP (where the tap will be) to the fused AC disco is about 8 feet, all in schedule 40 PVC conduit.
      Lets hope there is never a problem in that run.

What is IPC the acronym for???

Comment

Originally posted by bryankloos View Post

What is IPC the acronym for???
        Insulation Piercing Connector

A jacket is usually considered to be the covering around a bunch of individually insulated wires inside a cable.
        So piercing the jacket may not be particularly useful.
        Last edited by inetdog; 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Line side connections are usually under the jurisdiction of the POCO but you need to be talking to both the POCO and the AHJ to see what they will allow and want. It depends a lot on the service and equipment you have. Most POCO's have guidelines on what they expect on a line side connection but in most cases they are not how-to type of instructions. Personally I would not be doing this work myself, unless you are both qualified and have the appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment) - this work is best left to a licensed electrician and it would be money well spent. Be aware that many areas will not allow a non-qualified/licensed person to do line side connections.

There are many posts on the Mike Holt forums about the issues electricians run into with line side connections that are jurisdiction specific so the only answer anyone can give is to talk with the POCO and the AHJ and ask both of them exactly what they want and then do that (assuming they will allow you to do this work).

Topics to discuss with the POCO and AHJ would include:
          • Conductor sizing until fuses or breaker.
          • Is the service equipment listed to allow taps.
          • Allowed tap types.
          • Grounded conductor (neutral) and EGC bounding.
          • Disconnect requirements.
          Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X