Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Qtips
    • Sep 2016

what is typical RISO value?

I have a 3.5kW central inverter-based system installed around July 1 of 2016. It has fourteen 250W Trinasmart panels. I have an ABB/Power One Aurora main inverter. The ABB inverter makes a safety check for insulation/isolation resistance (called "RISO", measured in mega-Ohms) every morning at startup. It also measures ground fault leakage current constantly. During the hot/dry month of July, the RISO readings were ALWAYS 20 mega-Ohms every morning.

About a month ago, the startup RISO readings began to drop and vary based on morning ambient relative humidity. On foggy humid mornings with a lot of dew and 92% relative humidity, the RISO would drop all the way down to around 9 mega-Ohms, with a 4 mA leakage current. On most mornings in my area, the relative humidity in the last couple of months has hovered around 85%, and the RISO would be around 12 to 15 mega-Ohms, with zero leakage current.

The RISO has rarely gone back up to 20 mega-Ohms like it was when the system was a month old. Are these 9 to 15 mega-ohms typical RISO readings for a properly functioning system? Is the 20 mega ohm reading only for new systems? Or has the insulation on my system been compromised?

I have sent one email to my installer but he's been silent so far because the system still starts up normally. If based on your experience, my 9 to 15 mega-ohms of RISO readings definitely indicate a safety problem, then I will pester the installer to look into it before the inverter trips out.
    Last edited by Qtips; 08-15-2019, 01:31 AM.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

A leakage of 4ma is not yet a safety hazard, but it does suggest that somewhere in the system, either in a panel or at a wiring connection, or even along the wire somewhere, there is more leakage than there should be.
    Possibly the airtight seal of one of the panels has broken. Possibly you have a wire which has been abraded and is close to losing its insulation.
    The only way to tell for sure where the problem is would be to separate the system into smaller blocks and test each one individually.

Do you know what the trip point of the inverter is? Either in current or in megohms?
    Last edited by inetdog; 09-22-2016, 08:55 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Qtips
      • Sep 2016

My 3.0kW ABB inverter's trip point for RISO is 1 Mohm. I couldn't find the limit for leakage current.

I can understand my installer's reluctance to reply because it can be very costly to trace the problem. He will basically have to take down the system and test each panel. And testing these Trinasmart panels is probably not easy either, since the Tigo optimizer in the back of the panel shuts down the output (reducing the output voltage to 1 volt) when it is disconnected from the grid.

And from my point of view I also worry that if my installer sends a couple of technicians out to diagnose the problem, they may find that the low RISO may have been caused by squirrels or rats gnawing through the wires. I don't want to think about who would pay for that if that were the case.
      Last edited by Qtips; 09-23-2016, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Michaellee
        • Sep 2016

A high quality integrated solar lights for home garden using,very convenient.

---Mod Note: Please stop trying to get free advertising. Keep it up and you will be banned.
        Last edited by inetdog; 09-23-2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Michaellee
          • Sep 2016

LED Mang Brand Solar Power Sensor Garden Security Lamp Outdoor Light

---Mod Note: Please stop trying to get free advertising. You will be banned.
          Last edited by inetdog; 09-23-2016, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Working...