12V 6W Solar Trickle Charger on a 24V Power Wheelchair???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadCnty
    • Sep 2016

12V 6W Solar Trickle Charger on a 24V Power Wheelchair???

I am wondering... I have a small 12V 6W Gantz Eco Electric solar panel that I have not been using, and was wanting to know, if this is something I could connect to my 24V power wheelchair, to maintain the batteries... I do not wish to harm either the panel or the batteries (2 x 12V in series), but if this would work it would save me from having to charge the chair weekly... Is this something that is possible to do??? And if so how would I go about connecting the panel to the posts??? Positive to one battery and Negative on another, etc.??? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Nope. A 12volt panel will not be able to charge a 24volt battery system. Also a 6 watt panel is not enough to do anything more than trickle charge even a 12volt battery let alone charge it back up if it was discharged.

Comment

• MadCnty
      • Sep 2016

I thought so... I bought the panel back when I worked towing, and would not drive my personal vehicle for extended periods of time to maintain that battery... I was just hoping to save a couple of $$$ by keeping these batteries maintained as well... I knew it would not recharge them, but I would have liked to keep them topped off to avoid battery sulfation the best I could... Thanks for the reply!!!

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by MadCnty
        I thought so... I bought the panel back when I worked towing, and would not drive my personal vehicle for extended periods of time to maintain that battery... I was just hoping to save a couple of $$$ by keeping these batteries maintained as well... I knew it would not recharge them, but I would have liked to keep them topped off to avoid battery sulfation the best I could... Thanks for the reply!!!
        You might look for a 24volt solar trickle charger but I have not seen them and they may cost a lot more than those small 12volt ones you find in auto part or RV stores.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

You could get a couple cheap plug in 12V battery maintainers, and connect one to each battery. No need to remove the batteries. These
          would not be up to recharging duty, but could solve the long term maintenance problem as is done here.

I have considered a solar battery maintainer, but using a 275 watt panel. The sun is so intermittent and irregular. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...