Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beth_cing
    • Sep 2016

Is my main panel enough for my system?

I will be installing below system but my main panel is only 100A. I have been getting different opinions whether my main panel is enough for it or not (panels breaker related). Can you guys help confirm if it's ok? Thanks!

8.82kW GRID-TIED PHOTOVOLTAIC.
    SYSTEM TOTALING (28) LG315N1C-G4 MODULES
    WITH (28) M250-60-2LL-S2X INVERTERS. RACKING: IRON RIDGE XR10
    ATTACHMENT FLASHING: QUICKMOUNT E-MOUNT
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy beth_cing and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. Seems that the 100amp feed would be OK but the issue may be there is no room for the required breakers, please bear in mind I am not in the US and am not the best person for this question, others may chime in, cheers.Probably only way to know is to have a look at your main panel

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by beth_cing
      I will be installing below system but my main panel is only 100A. I have been getting different opinions whether my main panel is enough for it or not
      Really, the only opinions that matters is
      1> the guy signing off for the building permit inspection (Authority Having Jurisdiction - AHJ)
      2> the power company (POCO)

It may be possible to do a "supply side connection" - some places allow it, some don't.
      If your service (the wires and meter, not the main breaker box) can support >140A, you could have a new "main panel" and your current panel could become a 100A subpanel.
      It's also theoretically possible that you could do something where it's 60A or 80A for your usage and 40A for your solar.

Anyhow, there are possible solutions - but what will matter is the POCO and the AHJ and what they say.

It looks like you're hiring someone to do the job. So once they say they're going to be able to do it (and put that in writing) then I think you don't worry about it - if they have to install a new main panel or run new service wires to make it happen, that's just coming out of their profit and not out of your pocket. (And by getting it in writing, you have an easy way to say "I told you about this up front - you said it'd be fine and you'd deal with it, so I expect you to deal with it and not ask me to pay for it")

Comment

• beth_cing
        • Sep 2016

The new panel is Eaton MBE1224PV100BTS

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

So the installer is planning to replace your main panel and meter?
          And has already included that in their quote?

I looked at the PDF from Eaton for MBE1224PV100BTS (and others)
          the PDF says there can be 50A of PV input and a 100A main breaker with a 125A end-fed bus. (125A * 120% = 150A; 150A - 100A main = 50A for solar)
          So assuming you currently have a 100A service, it seems likely you'll be good. (AHJ / POCO still gets the last word - and I've seen posts about Los Angeles or San Diego having their own unusual interpretation about size of the electrical service needing to match the bus capacity)

FWIW, changing out the main panel could be something you hire a separate electrician to do. You may get a better price that way (depends a lot on how the installer is pricing that part of the job.)

Comment

• ButchDeal
            ButchDeal commented
            Editing a comment
            I took it that the Eaton MBE1224PV100BTS is the one they are upgrading TO not from.
            I would see not need to replace the meter when going from a 100a MSP to a new 100a MSP.

• foo1bar
            foo1bar commented
            Editing a comment
            I would see not need to replace the meter when going from a 100a MSP to a new 100a MSP.
            I assume that the panel being replaced is a combo meter+breakers, and is a surface mount (just like the one being replaced)

BTW - I found a post about LA/San Diego being a bit goofy about what requires an upgrade to the service wires:
            If you are a homeowner who is about to put a solar panel system on your home or you are a newbie to the solar market, get started here! A non-technical forum to help you understand the in's and out's of solar.
        • beth_cing
          • Sep 2016

Yeah.. they're replacing my zinsco panel to the Eaton one (included in their quote). Was hoping to have it upgraded to 125A main breaker but they said due to my wiring situation, i can only remain the same Thanks for all the help

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by beth_cing
            Yeah.. they're replacing my zinsco panel to the Eaton one (included in their quote). Was hoping to have it upgraded to 125A main breaker but they said due to my wiring situation, i can only remain the same Thanks for all the help
            Why do you care about upgrading to 125A main?
            Have you *ever* tripped the 100A main?
            Are you planning on installing significantly more for consumption?

If not, then 100A main is working fine for you.

If you *really* want to, now would be a good time to install a 200A panel with a 100A main breaker.
            Then when you upgrade the wires from the POCO to your meter, you could swich that out for a 125A or 150A main breaker.

But really 100A is probably fine for you (it's more than sufficient for most people)

Comment

Working...