X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justin334
    • Jun 2016

Wiring hybrid inverter question

Hi guys,

I am looking at installing a InfiniSolar 10kw hybrid inverter, its made by Voltronic power. It is rated at 10kw (obviously) - My question is if I wire it as such:

Mains grid to inverter AC grid input, then AC output from inverter strait into my house DB (where the mains currently run strait into now). So just before my distribution board.

Would this inverter trip if I'm drawing more than 10kw. Or would it simply pull the extra power needed from the grid as a bypass to makeup the shortfall? I see it has an AC breaker which by my calculations would trip if more than 10kw runs through it.

The way I see it - it doesn't look like it will work, but if it doesn't - it doesn't make sense. If I connect the inverter to only a certain portion of my house - and im generating 10kw from my panals, I want to use all 10kw! and not have my geyser run solely on mains if I have extra solar power - just for the few occasions where I might be using over 10kw.

Thanks
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

Typically, what is done is to install a new subpanel dedicated to the hybrid inverter's outputs and transfer over to it whatever circuits you want to be protected. A typical 200A main panel can handle 48kW (even though it probably rarely does) and you don't want all that on your new 10kW inverter. Yes, the inverter would trip out (or fail) if overloaded and they do not have automatic bypass features.
    It is nice to be independent, but there is no getting around the huge expense of having enough equipment to push the potential large loads. This is a big reason why grid-tied is so much more cost effective. Only have to handle the array power whereas with off-grid (or even hybrid) you have to be able to handle the full load.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...